Chapter Four

“Like I said before ma’am. If your name isn’t on the list than you’re not coming in.” The security guard stated.

“But my grandmother just made a mistake. She just forgot that I’m a Lopez when the rest of my family are Van Kempens. I just went back to get my shoes from the car. I would’ve come in with them.” Carmen pleaded. The guard was clearly new in town. Anyone else wouldn’t have even asked for her name. She was Carmen Lopez. The guard had dirty blonde hair pulled into an unflattering low pony tail. The company had probably only started hiring females as a gasp for diversity but it was obvious that the two big men in black lingering at the top of the stairs were there for back up. But this guard wasn’t taking any nonsense. Or any sense for that matter. She just wasn’t taking it.

“I’m sorry for the inconvenience but the rules are the rules and they’re their for the protection of the public. Ma’am this is a private convention and if your name is not on the list than I cannot let you come in.”

“This is ridiculous. How much do you want?” Carmen fished for a wallet in her signature Louis Vitton handbag.

“Ma’am I request you leave now.” The guard was unimpressed.

“But…”

“No I’m going to have to get you sent away if you don’t leave now.” The guard reached for a walkie-talkie clipped to her belt and raised her eyebrows.

Carmen’s eyes narrowed to slits. She new she had been beaten. A thousand more excuses bubbled on her lips.

“Whatever.” Carmen said turning on her heel. “You should get a hair cut. You look like you’ve been in an accident involving super glue and dehydrated straw.”

Although Carmen would’ve always opted for a showdown, the security guard just blinked.

When Carmen got around the corner she pulled out a Pall Mall and fumbled with the lighter. Jacqueline was the executive lawyer for Marlboro so smoking Pall Mall's was a way to rebel. Cigarettes could easily channel the anger out of her. Just the simple distraction of a new activity.

Today Origin Energy was hosting a Sunday brunch at the Woolloomooloo Wharf Cargo House. Carmen had no clue how her mother's law firm defending the worlds top tobacco company had anything to do with Australia's number one energy suplier. But maybe this brunch was just to celebrate being on the top.

Carmen's eyes widened. What she sure was so predicidble. So typical. So... perfect. It was Ryan being late.

“Hola hermano!” Carmen called out. It was a little spoof they'd came up with as the two Latinos in year four Spanish. Ryan spun his head around in his clueless fashion, taking his time before his finding her and giving a goofy grin.

“¿Es que mi hermana?” Ryan replied striding toward her. Ryan leaned on the sandstone wall of the cargo house next to her.

“Hey.” Carmen said biting her lip and grinning like a three year old. It was uncontrollable. It was good to see him.