Chapter 5: A Trip to The Grocery Store

Kaneki's POV

I woke up to feeling Y/N smash a pillow against my head. "Get up sleepy head!" She cheered happily as she pulled her f/c purse over her shoulder.

"What is it?" I yawned.

"We're going shopping." She stated as I growled in annoyance. "Believe me, its not exactly my idea of fun either. But I have to buy food." She folded her arms over her chest. "Do you want me to go by myself?"

"No of course not." I got up and off the sofa. I pulled Y/N into a hug. I whispered slowly and softly into her ear. "I have to protect you. If I don't, who else will?" I lightly kissed her cheek. Then pulled away to find her face a bright pink. I smirked. "Just give me a moment to get dressed." She nodded and sped out the door.

Y/N's POV

Kaneki and I walked side by side to the store. He had a tight grasp on my hand as he suspiciously glanced every which way. I could feel my heart racing in fear. What if that ghoul finds me?

"K-Kaneki..." I tugged on his white sleeve. "Are you... Are you strong enough to fight the ghoul?"

He gave his attention to me as we continued to walk. "Of course. Half breeds are far more superior than normal ghouls."

"You're a half breed?"

"Yeah, that's why only one of my eyes is a ghouls eye."

I nodded in understanding, feeling a little safer as my grip tightened on Kaneki's hand.

We finally arrived at the market. We both walked in and Kaneki grabbed a shopping cart. It was crowded today so we had to practically squeeze through the isles as people pushed and shoved. Finally, we reached a spot where barley anyone was.

"Jeez," I sighed, "You think people would have more manners." Kaneki nodded in agreement, but he looked a little disgusted. "What's the matter?" I asked.

He pointed at all the food that surrounded us. He looked at the bananas, disgusted. The apple's, he gagged. The watermelon, the poor guy looked like he could barley hold down his lunch.

"Um, you can go in a different isle and wait for me if you want." I nervously laughed, but Kaneki shook his head no.

"I can't just leave you. I have to protect you." He grabbed my hand and held it tight.

Before I could respond we were interrupted. "Y/N? Is that you?"

"Oh gosh..." I muttered as I realized who it was. Ali(random name for ex bf). My crazy ex boyfriend that's been trying to get back together with me for the past couple months.

"Oh," I nervously chuckled, "What are you doing here?"

"I actually thought I might run into you here." He laughed.

And the craziness begins...

"What do you want?" Kaneki spat.

I furrowed my eyebrows at Kaneki. What's his problem?

Ali ignored his statement and kept his attention on me. "How have you been?"

"Good, I guess. You?" I've just had a ghoul that's been trying to kill me and follow me everywhere. Might possibly die. You know, the usual.

"Oh, that's great. I haven't been that bad either." He smiled softly at me and shook my hand. "But... Y/N?" He asked. "Do you think maybe we could hangout sometime?"

"Ali, I-" Before I could answer, Kaneki pulled me backwards into an embrace and looked at Ali dead in the eye. Before I even knew what was happening Kaneki covered my mouth and slowly licked my cheek. My eyes widened in shock and a bright red blush crawled to my cheeks.
Kaneki?!

"Sorry Ali," He emphasized. "But she stays with me."