Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Crutchy knocked on the door to Snyder's office to take his supper plates back to the kitchen. "Heya, Mr. Snyder. How was your supper?" I still can't tell whether is Crutchy genuinely cared what Snyder thought of the horrible Refuge cook's meal or not.

Snyder picked up the new edition of the New York Sun with all of our faces plastered all over it. Crutchy stopped putting the plates on the tray and looked at the paper and foolishly exclaimed, "Hey, that's Jack! He look just like his self."

Snyder's face brightened, "You know this boy?"

"No, nah!" Crutchy realized what he had just revealed to the evil warden. Snyder got up from his chair and started towards Crutchy, who was backing away slowly.

"You have a famous friend, this Jack. Do you know where he lives?" Snyder asked vilely.

"I never hoid of 'im, honest. It's this brain o' mine. It's always makin' mistakes. It's got a mind of it's own..." Crutchy was making excuses. Not very persuasive if you ask me. Sorry, Crutchy!

Snyder just stared at Crutchy. I think he sorta believed him, but kinda not. Crutchy immediately went back to the placing the rest of the dishes on the tray and rested the tray on his knee and asked, "Can I get you anything else, Mr. Snyder?" Snyder just propped the paper on his desk so Crutchy could re-see it. Crutchy just started for the door and added, "Goodbye, Mr. Snyder."

-

That night, we were all downstairs having fun. Race was smoking, Spot was over, we were holding hands (since the secret was out), some were playing cards, and some were making signs for the rally.

 "So'd I spell it right, Kloppmann?" Dutchy asked Kloppman. He was painting a sign that said, "STRIKE."

"Oh, that's very good. Very good." Kloppman nodded.

Just then, Snyder walked in and started looking through Kloppman's books for "tenants", if you will. Kloppman walked over and asked, "Excuse me, can I help you?"

"You have a boy here who calls himself Jack Kelly? I wish to see him." Snyder replied.

"Never heard of him. Any o' you boys ever heard of Jack Kelly?" Kloppman played along. He knew about Jack's past and played dumb. Jack walked in and Swifty stopped him, pointed Snyder out, and went back to his card game.

"That's an unusual name for these parts," Specs announced.

"Oh, you mean Jack Kelly. Yeah, he was here, but he put an egg in his shoe and... beat it." Racetrack laughed.

"I have reason to believe he's an escaped prisoner, possibly dangerous." Snyder continued.

"Oh, dangerous? I better look in my files. This way please." Kloppman distracted as Jack made his way across the room. Race came over to Snyder and help up his sign. "Give to the newsies' strike fund, mister?" Snyder gave him a coin. The guys all went to bed about an hour after Snyder left. I spent the night in Brooklyn after walking back with Spot.

-

The next morning, Sarah woke up and looked out her window to find Jack sleeping on the fire escape. "Did you sleep out there all night?"

Jack lifted his head wearily, "Yeah..."

"Why didn't you wake us up?"

"Well, I didn't want to disturb nobody. Besides, it's like the Waldorph out here. Great view, cool air."  Jack explained.

"Go up on the roof." Sarah said.

-

Jack was in a boxing match with a pair of nylons when Sarah appeared on the roof with a basket.