Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

After we saw Jack in his new scab uniform, I headed back to Brooklyn with Spot. It was over twenty four hours before I could speak. I just leaned on Spot's shoulder as he held my hand on his bunk. After a while I finally whispered, "Why?"

Spot wasn't sure if I had actually spoken or not, so he asked, "Huh?"

"Why?" I said louder.

"Money. That's all Jack cared about after the newsies." he replied.

"Not the reason he became a scab, the reason he left us. Why he changed overnight." I explained my question.

"Probably a clean getaway from Snyder and to Santa Fe."

"I'm definitely not going with him now."

"What? You were gonna go with him?" Spot gasped.

"I was, but when we started growing stronger together, I started weighing my options. A life as a cowgirl in Santa Fe, or still as a newsie in New York, preferrably here in Brooklyn, with you." I rambled.

"Hey, hey! Slow down! You want to leave Manhattan? Why?"

"You." I answered. "Also, if my father were to come to New York to find me, he'd look in Manhattan first. He'd never think to look for a daughter of his to be in Brooklyn."

"Your father? Isn't he still in Russell?"

"I can't be sure. It's been two years since I left. He's either dead, forgotten about me, or on his way here. I would prefer the either of the first two options. If he finds me here, he'll kill me. But back to Jack, how could he betray us? Betray me? I'm his-I was his second. Now that he's a scab, until further notice, I'm the leader of the Manhattan newsies. Now I have to choose a second..."

"Can't pick me, I'm the leader of another borough. Apologies." Spot chuckled.

I pushed him playfully, "I wasn't going to pick you anyway."

"Sure...Keep telling yourself that and it might become true." He laughed.

"Stop!" I laughed as I reclined onto his bunk and closed my eyes to concentrate. Race, Mush, Blink, or Davey. Davey's done so much in the strike, but he's not the best fighter. Mush is strong, so is Blink, and suprisingly Race too. They fight well. Blink is most like a brother to me (besides Jack), though I play almost all of my pranks a sibling would on Race. Mush gave me my newsie name. Race gave me his extra clothes when I came to New York. Blink and Race rescued me from the Delanceys the day before the strike at the circulation center. It's either Blink or Race...

After a bit, I sat back up and opened my eyes and said, "Blink."

Again, Spot asked, "Huh?"

"It's Blink. My choice for second." I repeated.

"You're sure?"

"Of course. He's like a brother." I stood up and put my cap on. I started toward the door, but Spot stopped me by grabbing my wrist. I turned to face him and he kissed me.

When we parted, he said, "Good choice."

"Thanks. I know," I replied.

"Can I accompany you to Manhattan, m'lady?" he asked.

"Nice try, good sir, acting all gentlemanly." I giggled. "But yes, you may."

"Let's be off then." He offered his arm. I took it, and we strode out the door.

-

When we reached Manhattan, we were told what had happened with Jack, Davey, Les, Sarah, and the Delanceys. Those sons-of -bitches are never gonna rest, are they? I was also told by Race that Jack and the Jacobses went to see Denton. I told Race and Mush to get everyone in the square to announce the new second.