Short stories, Small adventures

Each issue will have a one shot, be it sad, happy, fluffy, bittersweet or plain feels murdering and I'm afraid that it's gonna be a sad one this issue, have a kind of angsty, (just kinda sad) one shot. The characters are all original. Now, on with the story.
-dreamer

She had finished. Everything was ready, the balloons were tied to the trees, garlands were hung up everywhere, the picnic blanket on the floor was covered with delights, cakes and cookies, pies and ice-cream. She had to have the ice-cream, it was their favourite, even in late September, when the weather cooled down.
She had also gotten sunflowers, the bright yellow flowers were dotted around the place, making her feel warm in the autumn cold. The sun was setting in the sky, all the clouds had disappeared, and there was a layer of leaves on the ground, painting it oranges, reds, and yellows, just like the sky, little patches by the tea candles. It was all perfect. She could see it happening there.

Mathias would be trying to eat as much as he could, Cerise berating him on manners as she ate a slice of the pie, trying not to get irritated by the boy blatantly ignoring her, Alexei laughing as he ate his ice-cream, protecting it from Maddie, who would be trying to sneak a spoonful of it, all the while Thea would be observing everyone, finding entertainment in what they did.

She let out a small laugh herself, as she continued picturing what would happen, imagining Leo. He would be sitting on the blanket, eating chocolate cake, wearing one of those ridiculous birthday badges that Thea always bought, and on his head would be one of the woolen animal hats they had all made together, the bear ears flopping down. He would be smiling, a big, bright smile, calling over to her, asking her to sit down and join them. She would go and sit down, a grin on her face, and all seven of them would see the sun set on another day. It would've been another happy memory of them.

It would've. But it wasn't. She stood alone in the leaves, tears falling to the ground, still imagining what could've been. They soaked into the dirt as she dropped to the ground, and the cries slowly started to come out faster, as her quiet sobs grew louder in the silence. Lily let go of everything she had held back throughout the day, her lungs aching as she coughed through her tears, slowly breaking down what ever she had left inside, little by little, bit by bit, crying all alone at the small little picnic she planned and put together.
She didn't know what possessed her to do all that fruitless work, but she knew it was taunting her, the words ringing in her head. All alone. It was meant to be a happy time. What went wrong? Did fate hate her so much that it had to take away everything she had left, just leaving her as an empty shell. She wasn't meant to be losing herself to the dark. She was meant to be smiling.

It wasn't meant to be this way.