Prologue

Pounding rang through my ears, as I came to consciousness. Thousands of thoughts hit me all at once, overwhelming my ability to think clearly. My eyes scanned the room I was in, a spike in my heart rate when I realized I had no idea where I was. My heart started to pound even more when I couldn't see straight, a headache was killing me. I surveyed the room; the four dark walls making me feel claustrophobic. There was a small closet, a bathroom consisting of just a toilet and a sink, and then the bed that I was lying on.

The room was dimly lit with candles, enough that it wasn't too bright. I didn't want to get up because I would probably just fall over. My surroundings were spinning and my head wouldn't stop throbbing. It even hurt to think, which is what I was trying to do. The last thing I remembered was being in my house. Oh my god! I knew what had happened. My hands started to trembling, my body turning cold.

I was at my house and remember someone breaking into my house. I had been waiting for my mom to get home, she should have been home. I remember running down to the basement to hide, unable to reach a phone. The man found me, hiding. He placed a wet rag over my mouth as I kicked and screamed. He used chloroform to knock me out. He kidnapped me and locked me here.

Tears threatened my eyes as I came to the reality I was faced. My dad had come from work at the police station and told me about this monster, he was working the ongoing case. This wasn't the first time the man had abducted girls, I was the sixth victim. My dad didn't have any leads on finding this man, what if he never finds me? My breathing became rapid and my head started spinning even more. The police would only find my dead corpse years later, would the man kill me? I clenched the thin sheets below me, trying to calm myself down. If I wanted to survive, I needed to stay calm.

I wanted to yell for help but it was no use, the thickness of the walls would surely prevent any sound from escaping. I've learned from horror movies that screaming for help does nothing but anger the kidnapper. If I had my strength back, I would fight the man as soon as he entered but at this point, I couldn't even stand up.

I managed to sit up on the bed with a great amount of force, pausing now and then from the disorientation. The chloroform must have been giving me some bad side effects. Bile rose in my throat but I held it back, not wanting to puke all over the balance. My blinding headache wasn't helping the situation either. At this point, I had to lay back down to prevent the spinning of my head.

Just as I settled my restless head on the comforts of my pillow, I heard the door to the room unlock. I took a deep breath, trying to slow down my rapid heartbeat. My palms began to sweat and my body trembled slightly. I didn't want to see the man, fearing what he would do to me. There was no way for me to fight back, which I gladly would if I had the energy. Being vulnerable didn't help the situation either, I didn't want him to think I was weak.

His towering figure walked into the room. I wanted to crawl into a corner and shield myself away from him. The door closed loudly behind him as he slowly walked over to me. I tried focusing on him but I found it nearly impossible to concentrate. I could make out blonde hair and dark brown eyes but the actual figure of his face was a blur. Despite my lack of concentration I did manage to see that he was shirtless, exposing his muscular torso. I made an attempt to push myself up again but the pain made it challenging.

"Oh no, no, no. Don't move, Sweetheart," he said pushing me back down gently onto the mattress. He perched on the edge next to me and simply stared. I probably looked terrible because I felt terrible, and isn't that just how it works?

"I wanted to welcome you here," he told me as if stealing me was the most normal thing in the world.

"Where am I?" I asked, still groggy and confused. It felt weird to talk. It seemed as if there was sandpaper in my mouth.

"Oh, my secret place. You are safe here," he said brushing my hair out of my face. I would have fought back because I didn't trust him, but I was too weak.

"Now here are my rules. No fighting me. No trying to escape. I'm very brief with my rules, aren't I? Obey them and you will remain safe. I won't have to hurt you as long as you listen to me," he said.

I nodded and he smiled at me. I already hated that smile. It showed like he cared but I knew he didn't. What was I going to do? I wasn't going to obey his rules, I had to fight him and try escape. I'd do whatever was possible to escape, the man didn't need to know what. His hand rested on my shoulder, making me tense up. I tried to move away but it didn't work out. Laying there, looking up into his cruel eyes made me sick to my stomach. I may have agreed to play by the rules, but I certainly wasn't going to keep my promise.

"I knew you were a smart girl. Now I have to go. I'll see you later when you are feeling better," he said. He leaned over and kissed me on the forehead. Then he left the room and locked it behind him. I was now more scared than I had ever been.

***

Hello everyone, if you have read this story before I did edit it and changed this chapter some, trying to make it better. If you haven't read this before, I thank you so much for giving it a try and I promise you won't be disappointed. Also for those who haven't read this series yet, there are four other books that follow this one, so if you enjoy this then you have plenty more to read!!! Thanks!