Scylla

The kingdom of Scylla buzzed with activity; a variety of fishes swam in groups, ocean plants swayed serenely with the current, little crustaceans scuttled from rock to rock, and merpeople chatted with one another with vivacity. They talked about current events, the latest shipwreck, the prettiest human knickknacks but the majority of their conversations were centered towards a certain royalty.

"Prince Trenton should be here any moment," an eager mermaid said to her friends.

"He's so dreamy," replied a red haired one.

"How's my hair?" asked a blonde.

"Glowing and pretty," answered the blue haired. "How's mine?"

"Comb it a bit," said a salmon haired mermaid, handing her friend a comb.

"Mermaids," they heard someone grumble under their breath.

The group squinted at the platinum haired merman.

"You're just envious," remarked the red haired mermaid.

The young merman stopped and turned, a scowl on his face, "What should I be envious of? I've got a beautiful mermaid! Unlike a certain someone I'm talking to."

"You barnacle!" exclaimed the red haired mermaid, swimming menacingly towards the merman.

"Calm it down, Lana," the blonde haired mermaid said, grabbing her angry friend's arm.

"You best swim away, Kyle," warned the salmon haired mermaid.

"You mermaids are so intolerable," mumbled Kyle as he began to swim away.

"Tell that to your mermaid, you prickly coral!" shrieked the red haired mermaid.

"Lana!" her friends gasped.

"He was asking for it!" defended Lana.

"Presenting his majesty, Vincent Alastair Trenton DeLaren, Prince of Scylla."

At the sound of the herald's voice the girls and the entire community hushed. They watched in admiration as the expected prince approached his loyal subjects. Everyone's glowing eyes were focused on the turquoise eyed prince. His royal highness's admirers blushed and bowed as he passed by. The young mermaids admired his ebony hair, silky and attractively disheveled, the chiseled form of his upper body, and his slim torso melding with his glimmering powerful tail. The prince flashed them a dimpled smile in return, making the mermaids squeal silently after he had passed by.

The prince continued his walk until a little merling with bright red hair approached.

"Ariel!" scolded the mother as the little mermaid swam towards the prince, ignoring her mother.

The prince stopped short in front of Ariel, an amused expression on his face. He waited for the little one to speak but it seemed to him that she was too nervous to do so.

"Hello," he said amiably, his deep voice making little Ariel stare up at him. "What have you got there?"

The little mermaid looked down at her hands where the small trinket lay.

"It's a pwesent," Ariel answered. "Your pwesent." She held the knickknack towards the prince and looked up at him with hopeful blue eyes.

The prince sat on the sand so that his eyes were leveled with little Ariel's. He gently received the trinket.

"And what may this be?" he asked with genuine curiosity.

"It's a miwwow," replied Ariel.

"Oh, I see myself in it!" played the prince then turned the mirror towards his little companion. "There you are too!"