The Merman

A gentle pair of brown eyes gazed across the clear familiar ocean. Sixty years had passed since she last heard its tranquil waves singing like lullabies in her ears. She closed her eyes, delighting in the cool breeze that swayed her wavy white hair. She breathed in the salty fresh air, taking into her lungs the memories that came alive. She could remember him clearly. Those fire-like turquoise eyes heating her to the core. His disarming smile that weakened her knees. His bold dark hair sharply standing out against the clear blue water. His muscular arms that had supported her more times than she could remember. His beautiful blue-green tail powering through the currents as if they were nothing.

Her feelings remained unchanged, her love for him still passionately the same.

But she had kept her promise. She tried to live as happily as she could. Her father flew back home as soon as he could after learning what had happened. All who were affected by the ruins, including Melabee and her friends, had moved to the inner states, far away from the ocean. It took almost fifty years to rebuild California. Melabee resumed her life in Colorado. It had taken her a long time to adjust to the new life, to the new weather. It was there where she had met the man she would marry at the age of twenty eight. His name was Noah Johnson. They had met in college and became best friends ever since. It was with Noah whom she started a family with.

Her children, Zoey and Liam, were her little bundle of joy. Together they would take family trips to various parts of the world. They basked in Italy's warm air, soaked in Paris' romance, and even partook in Spain's celebration. Melabee was happy. But not a moment went by that she didn't think of him. He never became just a distant memory. She recalled his face vividly as she experienced each happiness. She honored her promise to him even after her children had grown and moved from her and even after her best friend and beloved husband died from illness.

She learned that in her heart were two kinds of love, each equally divided in her chest. She loved Noah for his being her friend and lover. His presence comforted her. He always made her and the children smile and laugh.

But her heart still loved Trenton. It was the kind of love that hurt and never healed but it was also the kind of love that was worth all the pain. It burned her like an eternal flame that nothing could put away.

It was this love that had later brought Melabee back to the familiar  empty shore of Delfiniya. Her eyes which used to dance with youth were now steady with wisdom. But hidden somewhere beneath those brown orbs, was a hint of bold passion.

She felt the soft sand crunching beneath her bare toes as she tread towards the water in small, feeble steps. She smiled as the warm water splashed against her skin. It seemed the further she sank in the water, the more her youthful energy came back. A smile came to her lips as she remembered her friends Ellie and Max.

The three were all happily separated from each other, each having their own families. Ellie went on to become a veterinarian and found his match at the clinic he practiced in. His name was Chad Martinez. The two spent their lives with their two sons, Jamie and Antonio, their two daughters, Janine and Delilah, and their two fluffy British Shorthairs. All eight settled happily in Arizona.

Max found her FBI knight in shining armour in Illinois. The two were first fierce competitors in the field until, on a danger-filled mission, Max poured out her hidden feelings during a heated gunfire exchange. Melabee laughed as she recalled Max's confession. She had told Cole Sterling she "hated him but loved him anyway". Now they were both retired and most likely playfully bickering with each other.

A sigh left Melabee Samuels. She was glad her friends had turned out happy. A sudden shiver ran through her. Melabee almost collapsed in weakness. She felt her energy draining out of her quickly. Her breathing became labored, her fragile limbs barely keeping her afloat. Instinctively, her mind wandered to the merman who had always come to her rescue.