Messy Hair

"Daddy," Ella says as she brushes Danny's hair. "Can I style your hair?"
"Style my hair?"
"Yeah. And make it look pretty."
"Yeah, sure, hon. What are you going to do to it?" He sounds a little nervous.
"I can't tell you," she whispers. "It's a secret."
She collects his hair together, holding it in her small hands and she wraps an elastic around it all, leaving some hair loose. When she finishes she steps back and says "Tada!"
"Oh, you're done?" He asks.
"Yes." She replies. She looks up at him for a long moment before she bursts into an adorable little fit of giggles.
"What?" Dan pouts, crossing his arms over his chest. "Isn't it pretty? You told me it was going to be pretty."
"It is pretty, daddy. But it's also silly."
"I don't want to be silly. I want to be pretty!" He begins to fake-cry. He buries his face into his hands to hide the fact that he lacks tears.
"Don't cry!" Ella says, sympathetically, as she walks over. She wraps her little arms around his waist. "You look very pretty, daddy. Very pretty."
He stops crying and he gasps in delight. "Really? I do?!"
She giggles as she says "Yes!"
He grins down at her. "Great! Thanks for doing my hair, sweetie. I've always wanted to look pretty." He looks over at me. "Don't I look pretty, babe?"
I try to stifle a laugh as I nod. "Uh huh."
He grins at me. "Good. I knew I was pretty."