Chapter Eighteen

{Chapter Eighteen}

Side note: any feedback or advice you have is greatly appreciated and encouraged.

--

(Clint's Perspective)

As we carefully lower the quinjet onto the empty field on the outskirts of the town of Askar, Bahrain, Natasha and I go over our plan once more.

"So we'll head east over to Askar and once we cross the Harwar Highway, we will travel south until we see the row of large white sheds." I repeat.

"Then we find a way into the third from the left." Natasha added.

"Get inside, find the men, steal a weapon. Piece of cake." I mutter as I fire down the jet.

"And get out." Nat concludes as she shoves everything we need into a duffel bag.

Right. Forgot that one for a second.

We both grab our bags and check our weapons before leaving the jet and heading towards the town.

The sun burned the land we walked on. I could feel the sweat running down my back as we trekked east.

We were dressed for undercover operation; meaning no stealthy suits, no visible weapons seen, not even a pair of sunglasses for crying out loud.

Nat said they were 'too suspicious looking for a lost tourist'. Well I couldn't protest.

So we squinted and strained onward; me in my khaki pants, faded shirt and fedora hat, and Widow in her white cotton skirt and brown tank top.

Once we were in the midst of the town and their busy streets, we wandered like a travelling couple through the bustle of people and past any speculative glances that may have a cause for concern.

Stopping at a small shop, we both picked up a bite to eat and some extra water bottles. But mainly, we just continued in the direction of the small white sheds that were barely visible in the far distance.

Keeping our heads down low and our ears open to the sounds of potential threats, I pulled out a map of the area and held it up in front of our faces.

"Straight ahead. Each shed has six men, guarded with some sort of riffle and two smaller handguns strapped to their waists." I murmur under my breath.

"Follow my lead" Nat says as she takes a hold of my hand and pulls us forward.

Walking straight over to the guards in front of the third shed, every man raised their weapons and watched us menacingly as we approached.

Keeping the lost and scared look on my face, I let Natasha take the map from my hands.

"Excuse me" She said innocently, "Could you help us? We must have gotten lost on our way to the shrines.

Can you point us in the right direction?" She hands one of them our map.

Lowering his weapon, the man studies the both of us before taking the map and looking down.

"You need to go up here—" The man starts but is cut off by Nat.

"Could you mark it down for us? I'm horrible at remembering things." She asks sweetly.

"Do you have a pen sweetie?" She turns to me and holds out her hand.

My eyes widen and I pat down my pockets and pull out a red marker. Nat takes it and hands it to the guard who watches impatiently as all the other men turn and go back into their formation.