Chapter Twenty-Eight

{Chapter Twenty-Eight}

Side note: any feedback or advice you have is greatly appreciated and encouraged.

--

(Steve's Perspective)

Coming to a slow jog up to the capsule, I carefully step into the capsule and place Peggy on the ground so that her back is supported by the lining of the wall. Rose wraps an arm around Peggy's frail body and looks to me, her eyes shining with relief.

"One moment." I whisper as I step back out of the container.

Turning around I come face to face with Natasha.

Her eyes a glistening with tears, not unlike everyone else's I suspect.

Giving her a half smile, I close the distance between us and hug her.
She gives me a quick squeeze and whispers in my ear.

"Take care of yourself, old man." I can hear the smirk in her voice.

"You too, Natasha." I respond before letting her go.

Barton steps up to us and we share a manly hug as he says sincerely, "I hope you are all happy from now on, Rose is a real special kid." His voice wavers slightly.

"Yeah she is," I smile, "And she was lucky to have been saved by you. I owe you so much."

Barton scoffs and waves his hand casually.

Turning over my shoulder towards the capsule, I head over to Stark who is manning the controls.

"Thanks Tony, for everything." I hold out my hand.

"Yeah, well.." he says as he shakes my hand and looks away.

"Just make sure your all secured in there when you take off." He warns.

"Let's get this show on the road guys, I think we've got company heading over fast." Natasha interrupts and we all spring into action.

With a curt nod, I head back into the capsule, sliding into the machine and sitting down in the compact space with Rose curled into my side and Peggy's back rested against my knees.

As Barton slides the door shut and straps it securely, there is a silence.

After a brief pause the capsule fires up and a high pitch engine picks up speed noisily.

With all of us holding on tightly, I take a final look out the window of the capsule and watch as the scene around me blurs until it's impossible to comprehend anymore.

My eyes start to lower shut as the capsule begins its journey to the past.

--

-1944-

The sounds of a news report blaring from a radio that sits on a plain white table next to a plain white bed. It is the only sound that is heard through the room.

"It has been a week since the aircraft carrying Star-Spangled Captain America and his sweetheart Peggy Carter disappeared into the artic with no known news for several days of the ships whereabouts or the conditions of our two heroes.

But it was only three days ago that word spread throughout America of the discovery of the missing aircraft lost in the artic with Captain America, Peggy Carter and their unknown child recovered as alive and well with minimal injuries.

They have been taken to a hospital in Brooklyn, New York for further observation. What terrific news for the nation's greatest hero."

Shifting in my chair, I wait impatiently for the doctors to return.