Chapter Twenty-Five

{Chapter Twenty-Five}

Side note: any feedback or advice you have is greatly appreciated and encouraged.

--

CAPTAIN STEVE ROGERS.
LOCATION: STARK HEADQUARTERS, CALIFORNIA.

--
Stark Headquarters was a well-furnished series of white buildings which could pass as a parliament house upon first glance. Well, it would if it didn't possess a giant S for Stark on its launch pad that covered the rooftop.

The flight over didn't take long, but it still left me enough time to second guess myself for leaving Rose again.

I'd been tossing it over in my mind since I walked out the door.

Was this the right decision?

Should I have stayed?

Was this plan even going to work?

Shoving all questions to the back of my mind, I enter the administration building to meet an expectant woman standing behind the office counter.

"Captain Rogers." She greeted.
Placing the shield onto my back, I take small steps to the counter.

"We received word that you would come here." She continues, facing her back to me as she opens up a panel switchboard full of several lighted buttons.

"The sub-basement laboratory is just below, you may take the door on your right to get there." She gestures with her hand to the plain-looking door on the right; the only door on that side of the building it seems.

With a curt nod, I thank her and head straight over to the door.

There was no time to waste with pleasantries.

The door was unlocked when I turned the handle, something I would have considered dangerous if I wasn't in such a rush to get back to Rose.

Beyond the door was a concrete set of stairs leading straight down, guided by small lamp-lit lights that dangled from the ceiling every couple of metres.

Closing the door behind me, I head down the stairs until the lights disappear.

It was only a few steps in the darkness, but from the bottom I could see the path as the faint glow from under a heavy metal door was bright enough to light up the ground at my feet.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that this metal door had no handles or buttons on it. So, gripping the edge of the door, I pull the grate until it made a large screeching sound as it's unoiled hinges finally started to move.

The light was almost blinding now after my eyes had adjusted to the darkness. The hum of electricity was strong and the lights were much brighter through this tunnel.

The tunnel was bare, as I followed the line further up, I only saw a few empty containment rooms that one would expect from an underground sewage system. A few more paces up was another room, not unlike any I had already walked past.

The only difference was that inside this room there was a small plexiglass window on the door on the opposite side of the room.

Stepping into the room, I peek through the little window to see a small laboratory set up. Pulling this door open, I let myself in.

"Hey!" A voice shouts, "What do you think you're doing in here? This is a restricted zone! Who let you in?"

An older looking man steps up to meet me, leaving his unfinished sandwich on the bench in the centre of the room.