2

He had been acting weird for the past few months. Maybe because of things at work or whatever. But today, I'm gonna make him forget all his worries. She thought giggling to herself.

The bedroom was covered in rose petals and lavender scented candles. And she was just working through the final touches to the living room adding a box of chocolates with the champagne.

She was humming to the lyrics of Thinking out loud by Ed Sheraan with a wide smile on her face. It was the song he proposed her on. They called it their Special Song.

She had thought of just everything for today. After all, it was their fifth wedding anniversary.

She had a feeling that he might be late. But it was past midnight and still he wasn't home. She went over various possibilities as to, what kept him from her. She kept mussing herself.

"It'd be work."

"Some work related emergency."

"Some friend might have been in trouble. Yes, that's where he'd be."

"No.. Nothing bad is gonna happen to him."

"Stop the ridiculous thoughts. He's safe. And not in some accident."

"Then, why didn't he called. Or even dropped a text."

"What if he's hurt."

"He wouldn't be kidnapped. Right."

She glaced again at her cell phone. Checked it to see any text or voice mails. There was none. She tried his number again. And again he didn't picked it.

"It might be on silent."

"But, then why isn't he home."

With that she was beyond frustrated. She decided that he surely was gonna get a slap and some punches the moment he walks in.

She stirred in her sleep with the sound of someone juggling the doorknob. The clock showed 2:40 am.

He opened the door and stepped in. Wide eyed with the arrangements. And then his eyes fell on her.

She was wearing his favorite dress - that black little cocktail dress that hugged her curves perfectly. His eyes that were wide with shock were sad now. He looked everywhere but at her face.

She knew something was not right the moment he stepped inside. And his eyes just confirmed it.

With a sigh of defeat she sat back on the couch, the same couch she had fallen asleep on. The same couch, they snuggled on, on various movie nights. The same couch, they fought on so much and always ended up making out on, for God knows how many times. She loved it the moment they saw it in that old furniture shop. Even before they decided to buy it they pictured their life around it. She still remembered the day, the day she moved in with him. That day she knew exactly what she wanted and what she was gonna do with her life. Now, she had no idea what to do. She felt lost.

And then she realised that it was no use to still pretend.

7 months ago, was the first time she noticed him acting weird.

6 months ago, was the first time she noticed his smile was forced every time she joked about something. And he rarely made any attempts at that.

5 months ago, was the first time when he started overtime and she noticed he was trying to avoid sleeping with her in the same room.

4 months ago, was the first time she noticed him smile genuinely, but that to a text he received.

3 months ago, was the first time they had a fight. She wanted to go with him. And he made a big issue about her not giving him space.