Chapter Eleven

I walked into the small house Sam had been staying in hoping to find him. He was supposed to pick me up for lunch thirty minutes ago but he never showed which was unlike him. I had a million thoughts running through my head, none of which were good.

"Sam?" I heard some faint music in the distance and slowly made my way towards it hoping that I would find him at the end of it, "Sam!"

I called out louder to him from the hallway not wanting to approach the music in fear of what I might find, I paused waiting for a response. My heart was thumping so loud I was quite surprised it wasn't echoing in this empty hall.

"In here!" He answered back and I cautiously pushed open the door that separated us.

The relief that swept over me was indescribable and I was so disappointed in myself for thinking the worst. He sat in a chair, holding his guitar in his lap his writing utensil meeting the yellow notepad that laid on the small makeshift desk in front of him. I slowly breathed in the air around me. The scent of his cologne lingered in the room and it was beyond calming. I could stay in here forever.

"Hey baby." He stood from his seat and took a few steps towards me, his lips quickly finding mine in a brief embrace.

"Hey." I smiled at him, "Did you forget?"

Sam looked at me confused but his expression quickly changed to one of an apologetic nature as he realized what I was referring to. He pulled the phone out of his pocket and he just about cringed when he saw the screen.

"I am so sorry." He set his phone on the desk, "I turned my phone on silent while I was working and I had no idea. I didn't forget you babe, I promise. I just lost track of the time."

"I was worried." I looked at him and I was sure he saw it in my eyes, "I didn't know what happened. It's not like you."

"I'm sorry." He set his guitar on the worn leather couch and pulled me against him, enveloping me in his arms, "I promise it won't happen again."

There was momentary silence between us as he held me and I noted the security it brought me. I had been noticing that a lot lately, every time I was in his arms it brought me such serenity. I felt safer with him then I ever had with Kyle who was supposed to be a protector for a living.

"Forgive me?"

"Maybe." I grinned playfully at him and he let out a very faint laugh, he made flirting with him way too easy.

His hand rested upon my cheek and his eyes studied my face for a moment before his lips seized mine yet again. I grasped the fabric of his shirt tightly in my fists and I got lost in the kiss with him. It was slow and rhythmic and I couldn't help the disappointment I felt in myself for believing for one moment that there may have been a female on the other side of this door. No one had ever kissed me like he did and that alone was reassurance for any doubt. I guess I just felt guilty because as far as Sam was concerned, the only thing I was worried about was that he may have had a run in with Kyle.

"You still hungry?" His voice was gruff and laced with his southern roots and no matter how many times I had heard it, it was just plain sexy.

"Yeah." I bobbed my head as he slowly released me from his grip, "But I have to admit I'm quite curious about this song that had you so tied up."

A smirk slid across his face and he turned to look at me with his chocolate eyes as he set his guitar in its stand. I could see a slight blush on his cheeks and I had only wished I had a camera to capture him in this current state.

"It's not quite a song just yet it is still in the works..." He kissed my cheek, "but I can promise you will be the first to hear it."

"I'm going to remember this conversation, you know?"

His laughter filled the room and he looked at me with a smile that nearly consumed his entire face, "I have no doubts and I am sure I will be reminded on more than one occasion."

I laughed with him because he was right. Until I heard the song he was working on I would drop subtle, and some maybe not so subtle, hints about it. While it is all in good fun, that's just the way I am and Sam knew that and appreciated that better than anyone.

"I can't help it... I'm just so intrigued by this hunky soulful side of my former quarterback heart throb." I teased as I laced my fingers through his on our way to the car, "I'm not used to it yet."

"Uh huh." He gave me a crooked smile as he opened my car door, "buttering me up isn't going to help you... Not this time anyway."

I giggled as he leaned in to grab a quick peck before I slid into the passenger side. Like I said, he made flirting with him so easy and it just comes so naturally. That was one thing that Kyle didn't have, a playful nature and that may have been one of the biggest reasons that I just new he was not the one for me. No one could hold a flame to Sam and they say that is so often true with a persons first love. That we have expectations of what someone should be like and I'd be lying if I said I didn't find myself comparing any guy I came across to Sam and I really never even knew I was doing it.

It took all of five minutes being in his presence again that made me realize why I had such high standards. He was nothing short of amazing and the passion that radiated from him for those he loved was contagious. I wanted that in my life. I need that in my life and now that I'm getting it back I don't intend to ever let it get away.