Chapter 25 Blackout

All you were able to hear, was your own heartbeat pounding weakly inside your ears. It was a strange, fleeting sound, like the heartbeat belonging to a small bird that was wounded and struggling with all the sheer willpower that was left inside its small body to survive; to push itself to its limits and surpass them, all in a desperate try to live and see the daylight shining over the tall mountain peaks, to hear the water running through the luxurious forest and feel the air rushing under its wings as it flies as far up as it can, all in a desperate attempt to touch freedom's silver lining. If you thought about it, it was rather strange that inside the nightmarish situation which posed the most severe threat you had ever came across in all your life, you were able to hear the faint heartbeat, look pass the shots of pain that threatened to make you fall down and scream till your lungs gave out; the sound was kind of comforting, like an old friend that had returned to help you take the first step into a journey that would definitely be the very last one you would have.

Why?

Because you had just decided to seal your very own fate; you had just decided to practically kill your own self by running out of the room which protected you and was now invaded by a ruthless, monstrous killer and run out to the rest of the house which consisted of these entities. Let's face it: after the man that invaded the room and even looking back to what Jack had become, you were more than simply sure that the killing entities which occupied the house were nothing along the lines of human. How you felt about it, if this particular fact scared you more or not, you weren't sure yourself, since all that prevailed inside your mind at this fatal hour, was your pounding will to survive. To get the hell out of here and escape from this nightmare; and your body was obeying your every command for the first time.

It didn't matter that you practically felt your broken ribs melting inside your chest from the pain which resonated from them, it didn't matter that your bruised from the kicks belly was contracting and making your breath hitch; it didn't even matter that your broken hand was curled up in a tight fist despite the pain. All that mattered was your own two feet, which were taking one step after another and another, advancing forward and practically ejecting you to run with all your might inside the narrow corridor with the sea of closed doors passing by you. Pain was literally the only thing that was offered by your own body to feel and at the same time the only thing that was completely cut off from your brain, since the forests of your mind were set ablaze by the single scream which ordered you to run; it was pounding along with your heart, filling up the spaces of both your unconscious and conscious mind, being raised to meet with your very own troubled heartbeats. If you had any other choice, you were just unable to find out; all you could do, was obey and run. Run as fast as you can.

The ground that spread under your feet was the perfectly steady footing you needed to do just that. Even if it was made of a worn out wood, appearing almost bluish black under the complete lack of any windows which only enabled the darkness to prevail regardless of the bright winter day outside, it made it hard to see where you were going, but still let you know where the holes in the floor were; not too big for you to fall inside, but big enough to trap your unsuspecting feet and break them. And you couldn't afford not being able to run at this point. You feet hurried down the hallway, as you ran and never looked back, your steps reverberating like gunshots inside the death-like silence that prevailed. A sea of closed and locked wooden doors spread on both sides of the corridor, appearing black and menacing, holding inside even more monsters than what you could handle. You dared not open not even a single one of them; say it's the smell of death that was hovering in the air, so thick that you could practically grasp it, able to make your stomach turn and your conscience struggling not to hurl, or the screaming instincts inside your head, the idea never even crossed your mind. Deep down, you knew that opening one of the doors could easily lead to a pile of rotting corpses and tormented souls that still plagued these walls and if that was the case, all hope for survival would be lost.