Chapter 28 Who We Used To Be

'If they find out that we're not home, we are so dead. Like, already goners.'

The voice of a girl pierced through the loud noise of the howling wind, as the blizzard that pestered the small town of (y/t) continued on with undiminished ferocity, bringing along with it only the piercing cold of a merciless winter. In the almost deserted roads, two shadows appeared to be moving along the sidewalk, both of them staying on each others side, in a desperate attempt to generate some heat and warm themselves up; it was way past midnight and all denizens had retreated towards the warmth and protection of their homes, so it was far more than simply odd for someone to still be lingering outside.

'Oh come on now ______. They haven't suspected a thing in all those years, why should they know now?' the voice of a boy replied, only to receive a sigh from the girl.

'I think you're right Jack.' _____ smiled brightly and tugged closer to the boy, having passed her hand on his elbow and walking steadily beside him 'It's also been quite a bit since I last saw you, so I should just enjoy our time together.'

Jack looked down to the girl, offering her a smug smile 'Missing me already _____?'

'All the f*cking time and you know it.' She replies without even a single trace of hesitation 'I bet college is so much fun. Have you made any new friends?'

Jack thought about it for a second, trying to think as hard as he could if he made any acquaintances that could be counted as friends so he could answer the girl's question but so far, he couldn't produce any more than a single name.

'I guess you could say I became friends with Greg. He is my roommate as I mentioned earlier and seems like a normal dude.' He commented thoughtfully.

He and _____ hadn't seen each other in a few months, since Jack finally managed to get admitted to the college he aimed at and thus he was gone from the hometown of (y/t) for a while, being unable to both contact ________ and see her. Now, Christmas was finally upon them and he was able to return and see her; one would have expected him to return because he was missing his father or mother, but in reality, the man only missed his childhood friend and couldn't give two sh!ts about anyone else for all that matters. So tonight, he and _____ had snuck out of their homes and gone for a walk on a nearby park which Jack thought ______ would like, since it had already been decorated with lights and Christmas ornaments that made the whole scenery kind of idyllic. And since his thought was right, the girl seemed to be simply amazed by the breathtaking surroundings; she looked around her constantly with her bright (e/c) orbs completely mesmerized and a big smile gracing her face, looking even younger than she really was.

Jack just couldn't keep his eyes away from her smiling face and never allowed himself to deny her anything; that ended with both of them sharing a big bag of various sweets while holding steaming cups of their favorite hot chocolates in their hands and ______ talking about every little thing that happened while he was away and Jack paying close attention to her, never missing a single word uttered by the girl. It was kind of ironic how much he had missed her in the few months that they were apart and now he just couldn't look away from her small form, he couldn't risk her smile faltering even for a split second; a certain thing that also pleased him, was the complete lack of any purple spots lacing her splendid (s/c) skin. All these things were more than enough to make him happy. Because what greater joy than seeing the one you care about the most, happy? Of course, he never forgot about his promise to her; how could he do that in the first place, when all he wanted was to take her away from her 'supposed' parents and the two of them running away to start a normal life somewhere far, far away. To achieve that, the man had made sure he studied as hard as he could, resulting to him scoring first in all of his classes; ______ was delighted to hear that he was doing well and to reward him for doing so great, she kissed his cheek and hugged him as hard as her body could allow her.