Waking

Berlin's POV

The air was as stale as the taste in my mouth. 

"Wow, what a little failure you were," I heard someone chuckle. "So weak and helpless."

I opened my eyes and tried hard to focus my vision, being laid out on a metal table like a science experiment. A feeling of suffocation came to me as if I were breathing through a thin tube in my throat.

"You're lucky that guard was a lousy shot, you were meant to be struck in the heart, you know we can't reverse something like that," they snickered. I looked in the direction of the voice and met a glowing gold stare. The same that had harassed me in Arkadia, this time I recognized it, Talik.

I gave him a panicked look, curious to what had happened but struggling to get my mouth open.

"You're drowning in your own blood," he said casually, ignoring the intensity of his comment, he then went ahead to eye my body.

He placed a hand on my ribs and ran it down my torso, applying pressure. He looked into my eyes and tilted his head with a lick of his lips. I glared back, threatening him as best as I could. He lifted himself onto the table and pressed his leg in-between mine. 

"Maybe I like you this way," he brought his hand to my hair and twirled it with a wicked smile, then pushed his leg harder against me. 

Every way he shifted me, cold metal would touch my skin and send goosebumps through my body and an ache through my bones.

He came closer and pushed his lips against mine. I quickly went on to bite him as hard as I could manage. He shrieked and pulled away, drops of blood instantly dripped onto my cheeks. 

"You stupid bitch!" he yelled. Pushing his arm against my neck and closing my airway completely. 

I tried to push him away but my body was basically useless. After taking a deep breath he lifted his arms and decided it was amusing. "You're right. It's probably best I wait for after your recovering and then we could hook up," he decided with a wink then jumped off the table. 

Then he left. Without his glowing stare in the shadows all I could see was the single light highlighting nothing more than myself. I tried to wait for a peak of my body's recovery so I could get up but it never came. I just lay there for hours, cold metal below me and the blinding light in my face.

I woke and felt anew. My skin felt moisturized, my lips were nowhere near the condition they normally were and not a muscle in my body ached. I sighed in relief.

"Good morning, Berlin," the female computer said, shining light into my room through a simulation of a window. 

I sat up and felt the soft blankets slip off my torso, every touch pulling me back into my dreams.

My dreams. They had been so intense, so real. But I looked down at my chest in search of a wound and found nothing. Looked for specs of dirt or blood under my short nails but they sat long and clean.

I took a deep breath and allowed the comfort of my room fill my lungs. What a horrible dream. I quickly shrug it off and got up to begin my shift.

I walked down the corridor, slowly, with enough time to admire the art that had been collected over the years. When I reached the outside I was hit by the beautiful smell of pastries from across the street. My walk to work was my favorite, every part reminding me why I did what I did.

Assisting the rescue teams, assembling the missions and monitoring mental stability during missions. Although we had all received a similar training, many struggled with the pain of memories, something we weren't allowed to simulate in our realm. It wasn't that we held no emotions, but rather that they were shallow ones, having a lack of a twisted past. We were familiar with pain and anger, wickedness if you may, we just accentuated on the power it brought us, for misery had no place here.