Vertigo

Berlin's POV

I woke up in quarantine. The main focus of the metal box, the eyes of authority looked at me cautiously through the glass doors of a familiar airlock. Static from the intercom echoed and slapped against my wounded ears. I heard a question extended to me but the words only bounced off the vertigo that swung me back and forth.

Although I recognized the lights to be white there were a few glimpses of red in my vision that blurred everything in front of me. I had a purpose, I remembered. There was a reason I was caught in the outskirts of the bomb that had gone off. I knew something I wasn't supposed to and my secrecy was key for everyone's survival.

I blinked my confusion away and focused on the stares in front of me. I was to be in a state of interrogation and I was to speak the truth, her truth.

"Identify yourself," I heard a familiar voice say.

"Kane," I said echoing my thoughts.

"How do you know him?" the woman quickly asked.

"Abby?" I asked, still looking down at my lap and holding a tight grip on the stretcher under me. There was silence for a moment, or maybe I stopped listening, I wasn't sure which. There were millions of memories making their way back to me as I saw the metal plates beneath me for the first in what felt like a long time. "Where's Clarke?" I asked, surprising myself. Maybe I shouldn't have asked for her first but she was who I was thinking about, the person of greatest interest. The girl rumored to represent her people.

I heard the doors open and I looked up to see the couple step forth. "Who are you?" they asked a second time.

I shut my eyes and tried to recall my own name. 

"Berlin' kom skaikru," I muttered, blinking hard and finally getting a clearer view of what was happening. The stares that continued questioned my promise and I realized that no matter how impossible I'd believed it they didn't remember me. Vertigo returned to my eyes and hyperventilation to my lungs as my vision turned violent. I wasn't to focus, I wasn't to calm, I was trained to prevent my state but in the moment I failed to remember. Exhaustion and suffering piled up in my chest creating a sort of pressure I could no longer swallow. Then a face made all dust settle allowing oxygen to gently fill my lungs and the pressure punched out in my exhale.

"Berlin?" the girl asked in endearing sorrow, a neighbor, I remembered. I searched for the face I longed for as if I hadn't already been staring right at her and found tears running down her face and onto the guard's uniform she wore.

"Harper," I breathed painfully.

As she took a step forward Dr. Griffin pulled her back, "Careful!" she shouted her face filled with worry and caution. She stared in my eyes as if searching for my soul and I knew what she was thinking, explaining why I had been placed in an airlock. Harper had noticed too and I saw her suffer the confliction of arguing, afraid of hurting my feelings.

"It isn't contagious, I would know by now if it were," I whimpered.

She ran to me and with the extension of her arms brought me home. "Harper, Harper," I continued to let out after what felt was a dying breath. She whimpered too into my shoulder and I sat there holding on to what felt like the only sense of warmth I had ever experienced, relieved in her breathing body and knowing she was stronger than even I could ever manage.

I opened my eyes and saw another familiar face come forth. Pulling Harper away to examine me they bent down to get a better look but stared blankly, not recognizing me at all. The air thickened at the suspense his stare caused. I couldn't believe it, the amnesia had been strong on him, since there had been great love lost between us.