Secrets

Becca POV

I wake up the next morning to a crashing sound downstairs. I jump out of bed and run down the stairs. When I get to the kitchen, I see a small white object fly through the air.

"Watch out Ms. Evans!" I hear Cassie yell from across the room.

"What's going on?" I jump at the sudden presence of Cole behind me.

"There's a bird in the house." Cassie replies.

"Where is it now?" 

"It just flew into the dining room,"

"Start opening the doors and windows, I'll handle the bird." Cole gently touches my waist as he moves around me. I freeze at the feeling, "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, I'll help Cass," I reply, hesitantly.

"Alright," He goes into the dining room and I start opening the kitchen windows. I go over to the door and hold it open. I watch as Cole chases the bird in my direction and darts through a window. I let the door close and help Cole close the windows again. Cassie must have disappeared sometime during the excitement, I know birds aren't really her favorite animal. I go to close the last window at the same time as Cole. Our hands touch as we reach for the window. 

"Sorry," Cole says pulling away. I close the window and turn to face him.

"Well that was exciting," I say, walking towards the staircase.

"Are you going to keep avoiding me?" 

"I'm not avoiding you,"

"Fine then, ignoring,"

"I just haven't felt like talking," I lean against the wall, crossing my arms.

"I know you and Asher broke up last night,"

"How?" 

"He told me,"

"Why would he do that?"

"Because he thinks that you like me instead, and he wished me the best of luck."

"He's such a drama queen," I mutter.

"He cares about your happiness," Cole says, "He thought you'd be happier with me."

"What do you think?"

"I think it's your decision. I won't deny that I have feelings for you, but in no way did I mean to sabotage your relationship with Asher by asking you to sing with me."

"I still love Asher even though he's being a dumbass about this entire situation. The reason I sang with you wasn't to sing with you, but to sing because I like it. You are a good friend, but I know that I don't have feelings for you."

"I understand, and I want you to do what's best for you. I don't want to stand in your way, which is why I'm leaving tonight to go back to New York."

"You don't have to leave."

"Yes, I do because staying would be too painful." He says, "Seeing you everyday and not having you is not something I can deal with. It is the selfish choice, but it's for the best."

"Oh," I reply, slightly surprised by his answer. There's a knock on the door, and I go over and open it.

"Hey," Asher greets from outside.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I want to talk." I glance at Cole.

"I want to talk too." I usher him into the house, closing the door behind him.