Chapter Four

Percy POV

I'm really distracted during math. So many thoughts are whirling through my mind. Why has the nightmare gotten worse here in Beacon Hills? Why is Stiles also having the same nightmare? What am I missing? I sigh, knowing that these answers won't come easily. Scott and Stiles turn to look at me, sensing something is up. "I'm fine," I whisper to them before I look down at my work again. I try to look at the question, but the letters float around, jumbling themselves up. I start tapping my pen on the desk impatiently, waiting for the lesson to be over. After what feels like forever, the bell rings and the teacher dismisses us. I race out of the classroom, Scott and Stiles following closely behind. Suddenly, we hear a scream coming from the boys locker room. The three of us exchange worried looks before we sprint down the hall to see what was going on. We enter the locker room and are shocked by what we see.

A lacrosse player is lying dead on the floor, lying in a pool of blood. I cry out in shock. Stiles walks slowly over to the body. He rolls it over, and we see slash marks going right through his clothes and skin. I breathe in shakily. Stiles glances at Scott with a knowing look. I then walk over and kneel down next to the body. I look at the gashes. I also notice there is a stab wound in the centre of the boy's chest. Not many creatures have tails or claws that would pierce that deep. Only one comes to mind. A manticore. I stumble back in shock at my realization. Everyone at this school is in danger. And I have no way to tell who the manticore is.

"We need to get out of here. Now," I tell the two concerned teenagers. Scott nodded and we quickly rush out of the locker room, just as everyone starts to pile in. As we run away from the crowd, I hear screams of panic and shock. I pull Stiles and Scott into an empty classroom. Scott looks nervously between me and Stiles, and I'm not sure why. "Something weird is going on here," I begin to tell them.

"We can see that," Scott replies, gesturing in the direction of the locker room.

"Before I got here, did you notice anything... Strange?" I ask. They look at me, confused.

"Not that I know of." Stiles answers.

"I've got to go," I say, just before I take off, sprinting out of the classroom, to find the other demigods. Eventually, I find them just outside of the chemistry lab. "What's going on?" Annabeth asks me, worried. They don't know about what happened. "Someone's been killed,"  I explain. Everyone looks at me with shocked expressions.

"What? How?" Frank wants to know.

"I think it's a manticore. He was slashed up by claws and stabbed in the chest by the manticore's tail, I believe. It could be anyone," I sigh. We all are silent and deep in thought for a moment.

"Is there any way we can get the manticore to reveal themself?" Hazel asks timidly.

"Not that I know of," I tell her, rapidly trying to figure out a way to go about this. If we don't do something, the manticore will destroy the school and the rest of Beacon Hills.

"I guess for now we just follow people around and look out for any abnormal behaviour." I say to the group. They all murmur in agreement. Suddenly, Jason looks like he's been hit by a truck. "Dude, are you okay?" I ask.

"Y-yeah... I've just gotta go and take care of something." Jason replies as he turns around and runs away from us. Well, that was weird. "Look, let's just split up for now, and we'll meet up later and share what we've found," Annabeth speaks up. We all nod in agreement.

"Alright then. I'll see you guys later," I walk off. Suddenly, I bump into Scott. We quickly apologize.

"Hey, are you alright Percy?" He asks me after the apologies.