Chapter Eight

Percy POV

I end up spending the night at the Stilinski house. I'm just starting to drift off to sleep on the couch when I hear it. The high pitched scream that almost bursts my eardrums. I jump up in shock. I put my hands over my ears, trying to drown out the noise. "What the hell is that?" I wonder out loud. The Sheriff and Stiles run down stairs as fast as they can, exchanging very worried looks. I take my hands down from my ears as the scream fades away into nothing. "Lydia." Stiles mumbles. He slips on a pair of shoes that he just so happened to leave by the front door. Meanwhile, John walks into another room, phone in hand.

"Um, can you tell me what's going on?" I ask desperately as Stiles is about to exit the house. He pauses and turns back to look at me. "I'll explain it on the way. We need to go. Now." He tells me urgently. I nod and we rush out to the jeep, with me carrying my shoes in my hands. I quickly jump into the passenger seat, pulling my shoes on. It only just occurs to me that we are both still in pajamas (Stiles lent me some of his). Stiles hops into the drivers seat and starts the engine. He hands me his phone. "Call Scott." Stiles instructs me.

"Okay, sure." I respond, trying to find Scott's contact on the phone. After a few moments of scrolling, I find it. I tap on his name, bringing up the phone number. I press the number, and the phone starts dialling. I hold it up to my ear. Scott picks up on the sixth ring. "Stiles?" Scott asks, puffing slightly.

"It's Percy, actually. Stiles is driving. What's going on?" I ask.

"Okay, uh, tell Stiles to meet me at the sign for Beacon Hills Preserve."

"Yeah, but what's going on? Why could we hear Lydia's scream?"

"She's a banshee, remember? Look, we'll talk more about it later. I'll see you in a bit." Scott says just before he hangs up. I hand the phone back to Stiles, who places it in his pocket. "Scott wants to meet at the sign for the Beacon Hills Reserve." I inform him. Stiles nods, his foot pushing down on the accelerator. I look out the window to see everything fly past us. "So, do all banshees have extremely loud screams?" I ask my newfound brother.

"Yeah, they do. Banshees can use their screams for two main things. It can help them listen to the voices that no one else can hear, or it can signal to creatures with incredible hearing, like werewolves, where they are located." He explains. I stare at Stiles, still very confused.

"But we aren't werewolves. We don't have super hearing. So why could we hear her?" I question him. Stiles sighs as he stares at the road.

"I don't know for sure. Maybe she's becoming more powerful, meaning her voice is strong enough for even us to hear when she's far away. Or, possibly the situation is really, really bad." Stiles answers. I gulp nervously.

"That would mean everyone else in Beacon Hills would have heard her scream." I realize. Stiles nods.

"Yeah. I think that's why my dad was in the phone. He must've been talking to the rest of his department, hopefully convincing them to not get involved." He explains. Within another minute, Stiles slows the jeep to a stop. We jump out and rush to the sign, which read 'Beacon Hills Preserve - No Entry After Dark'. I get the feeling everyone ignores the sign. Out of the forest, I see Scott running towards us in his pajamas, barefoot. He skids to a halt in front of Stiles and I. "Let's find Lydia." Stiles simply says. Scott and I both nod. As we search, Scott and Stiles call more people to come and help look. I decide I should call for help too. I text Annabeth, Jason, Piper, Leo, Calypso, Hazel and Frank to head to the forest to help find Lydia. I then put my phone away. After a couple more moments, Scott and Stiles do the same. I jog up ahead, starting to feel anxious. We then start calling out Lydia's name, but we don't hear any response. Suddenly, I trip on a root from a tree. I tumble over into a bush. I groan as I slowly sit up. Scott and Stiles catch up to me. "Are you okay?" Scott asks worriedly. I nod my head in response before I get up. Out of nowhere, we hear a movement from not far off. We all freeze. We watch as a figure makes their way towards us. As they step into the moonlight, we see its Lydia.