Chapter 3

Feathertail stretched her legs. She hated being inside all the time feeling so useless. But she figured that she was alive and with her friends so surely she could survive a few days of boredom? She had been so sure then...now she was just bored. She batted at a crinkled brown leaf that blew past her.

"Hey, stop it!" Feathertail turned ever so slightly to see Crowpaw running at her. She sighed. She loved Crowpaw so much but every time he saw her doing something he stopped her. She would always be angry but once she saw the love and worry in his eyes she relented. He could worry over her, she had almost died for him, hadn't she? So she sighed and relaxed into her nest. Finally! Feathertail burst out of the cave.

"Now be careful and don't-" Crowpaw was saying. But she was so happy she couldn't listen. After a few more days, both Crowpaw and Stoneteller deemed her fine to travel. So with a few good byes, they were going. Feathertail looked at the group. Squirrelpaw was already arguing with Brambleclaw, no surprise there. Feathertail purred. Crowpaw was pressed against her, nervously telling her over and over to be carefuly and watch out. Feathertail scanned the group. Stormfur wasn't with them. "Where's Stormfur?" she asked Crowpaw.

"And make sure to - huh? Oh. I think he was talking with that mountain cat Brook..."

Feathertail raced back inside the cave, enjoying the luxorious feeling of running and skidded to a halt when she saw Stormfur and Brook padding towards her. "Hey!" she purred. Then she saw neither of them was smiling. She felt scared. What happened? "What's wrong?" she whispered.

"I'm staying here." Stormfur told her flatly. Feathertail stared at him, shock slicing through her. No, she can't have survived death only to have her brother snatched away by the Tribe....

"No..." she murmured.

"Yes, I am. But save the Clans, sister. When you pass through to go to our new home, I'll be waiting for you." he licked the top of her head. "Now go."

In a daze, she stumbled out of the cave to were the group was waiting.

"Where's Stormfur?" asked Brambleclaw cheerfully.

Feathertail felt tears pricking at her eyes. "He's staying." she said as she brushed past them, padding alone down the rock trail.