Our

~The Night We Started ~

part two.

Feeling the warmth already, I began to unbutton my coat against my better judgment. I could just feel David’s impish stare as my breasts came into view. I bought the dress when I was sixteen. I thought I was done growing. Unfortunately, the tasseled number’s cost was too much not to wear it, so I squeezed into it.

“Wow, J.C,” he sighed in a mesmerized fashion. “Just wow.”

I rolled my eyes and shook my jacket off, handing it to David, who handed it to the bartender behind us.

“Can I buy you anything?” he asked, snapping out of his haze.

I narrowed my eyes at him “playfully”. He thought it was playful, but I really was annoyed at him. “You know I don’t drink.”

“Oh yeah… well can I buy you a ginger ale?”

“I don’t think…” Suddenly my eyes were drawn to a figure in the corner. I couldn’t see his face, but I could see his eyes perfectly. It reminded me of the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland, the way his striking green eyes were the only thing visible, yet they followed me as David led me to a table.

David’s eyes traced my own line of sight, and he nearly choked on his beer. “J.C, what are you doing?!”

“Me?” I asked, breaking eye contact, though I knew the eyes were still watching me. “I’m not doing anything. That guy keeps staring at me.”

That guy is Harry Styles. You do not get involved with Harry Styles. He’s a gangster, J.C. He’s not good for your type.”

“I don’t have a type,” I replied, sneaking a glance at those eyes again. “And it’s not like he’s Al Capone either. I’ve never even heard of him.”

“That’s how good he is.. or bad. He’s bad, J.C. Stick with me. I’m--” Suddenly, David’s annoying voice shut off and his eyes grew huge, so I looked up. The green eyes weren’t in the corner anymore. They were right in front of me. I gazed into them for a moment, then I laughed out loud.

“Are you laughing at me?” he asked with a surprised look on his face. His creepily well-groomed eyebrows must have shot up to the ceiling.

It was the scumbag from my walk here. Boy, was I stupid to have given that curly-headed limey my attention for more than two seconds.

“Maybe,” I replied coolly, wearing a small but condescending grin on my lips.

He looked at David one time and the giant pussycat ran away, leaving Harry to take his seat. “Do you know who I am?”

“Apparently, you’re a gangster, but I’ve never heard of you.”

“That’s how good I am.”

“Sounds to me like you’re all talk.”

“Sounds to me like you’re a little too feisty for your own good.”

I laughed at him again. If he only knew how passive I usually was, then he would be the one laughing, or most likely trying to take advantage of me.

“Why do you keep laughing at me?” he asked, mildly irritated.

“Well you don’t expect me to take you seriously, do you?”

“Yes!” He banged the table once, but it was a pitiful hit. The liquid in David’s glass barely shook.

“Well good luck with that.”

He groaned in frustration and looked me straight in the eyes. “You. Are. So. Annoying.”