001 | blind

• • •

"Mother, do you love me?"

Love was something I had failed to grasp even at a tender age. As my frail fingers extended out towards the crisp, white coat the woman in front of me had worn my entire life, I asked her the simple question that I had yet to comprehend myself.

Despite my rather naive lack of understanding, there was an unknown mental force that pulled my mind into depending on that question. Those five simple words acted as the fragile, thin string that held my sanity together.

Her red lips curved up in an elegant smile, just like every other day, every other month and every other year.

Over and over again, her voice would utter a reply that made me forget the rest of the world surrounding me and all the pain in it.

If she said yes, I could disregard the scalpel stained with the crimson liquid of my body that she held delicately in her unstained hand.

I could disregard the abuse everytime I would demonstrate any hint of weakness.

I could disregard her neglect and forced solitude towards me.

I was her little doll. Her little experiment.

As I continuously seeked the warmth that was ripped away from me, I found a slight hint of it in her answers to my question, so I desperately clung on to them, blindly trusting them. Could the mind trick itself into willingly drowning in lies and deceit? Absolutely.

Tell me, what is true? What is correct?

Does it matter?

"Of course I do. Mother loves you."

•••

a/n: i've started another tokyo ghoul story ahh! this one will probably be updated slowly as well, but since my school break is coming up, i'll focus more on updating The Centipede. hope you enjoy :3