Chapter 17

I was in my room for no more than a couple hours when there came a knock, and I turned from my place at the window to see Percival enter.

"Percival," I greeted uncertainly. I had no idea how he'd react to the news of my abilities, but I prayed he would accept me.

"Ariel," he greeted as well, closing the door gently behind him. There was a moment of silence as he seemed to gather his thoughts. I waited patiently. I couldn't imagine this was an easy thing for anyone to take in.

After a few moments of gathering himself while I looked to him expectantly, praying his words were not negative, he finally opened his mouth to speak.

"You know I've not always been a knight," Percival began, approaching me as he spoke, and I nodded. "I spent much of my time as a farmer." Again, I nodded. "I traded with other outlying villages, and I've come into contact with many kinds of people, Ariel." This time, I didn't nod. He wasn't looking for an answer. He was looking to explain. So I listened raptly as he approached me. He was less than two feet from me when he told me, "including sorcerers."

I nodded and looked down, unsure of what he was trying to say.

He took a slight step closer, lowering his voice ever-so-slightly.

"I'm not afraid of you, Ariel. My feelings for you haven't changed. Not even in the slightest." I looked back up into his eyes, and he was giving me the most meaningful look. "I see your heart, Ariel. It's pure, and it's loving. I know you're a loyal woman. I know you would fight for our King, no matter the consequence."

I couldn't help it. I felt not only flattered, but so happy I could cry. To know at least one of my friends hadn't lost faith in me was beautiful. It was a relief I could never describe.

Percival raised his hand and took my face into his palm. It was then that I realized just how much bigger he was in comparison to myself. I had always been rather small in comparison to others, but this was a completely different story. And even with that knowledge, I didn't feel threatened. If anything, I felt comforted.

"Even with his newfound knowledge, Arthur still desires to know you," he told me, and my heart skipped a beat. He wasn't angry? "But..." Percival tried to hold back his smile. "I'll let the King and Queen speak with you in regards to your becoming their ward." I felt happiness fill me like a glass of water, filling up quickly, and overflowing over me. "They sent me to notify you that they wish to dine with you this evening."

I let out a breathless, happy laugh, and Percival's grin grew. Tears were forming in my eyes, and I didn't know what to say, or what to do. I placed my hand over Percival's.

"Thank you," I whispered, and he nodded. Then my happiness began to fade as another thought hit me. "And... the other knights?" I asked. Percival's smile faded as well, and my heart skipped a beat.

"The realization will take time for some to get used to," he admitted, and my heart sank. I nodded in understanding, allowing my hand to drop from his, and I turned to look back out the window. For a few moments, there was silence.

"And how did Arthur fare in this conversation?" I asked. And this time, the hesitation to answer was all the more obvious. "He was livid. We lied to him."

"He was frightened," Percival admitted. "I could see his fear at first. He wasn't sure what to think or how to feel. I can't help but believe that, had so many people, including the Queen, not been there to ease his mind on the matter, to point out valid points about all three of you... he likely would have taken days, if not weeks, to warm up to the idea."

At that, I turned to look up at him. He was so close I could feel the warmth of his body.

"But you think he would have eventually warmed up on his own?" I asked hopefully, and he nodded in agreement.