Chapter 10

I awoke very slowly to the sound of hushed voices. I felt exhausted, every inch of my being felt sore and weak and tired. I sighed deeply, the feeling of air rushing through my lungs helping me awaken slowly. I hid a yawn behind my hand as I sat up and opened my eyes. The first thing I noticed was the Druid boy missing from his cot, and my heart sank.

"Ariel."

My heart rate doubled, and slowly, I turned to look at the source of the voice.

"Mordred?" I choked out, tears filling my eyes.

The Druid boy grinned at me and held his hands out, showing me he was unharmed.

"Whatever Arthur and Merlin did... it worked. I'm fine," he insisted happily, and slowly, I stood from where I was, my eyes stuck on the man in front of me.

"We didn't want to wake you," I heard another voice say. Gaius' voice. "After last night, I figured you needed your rest. You still look a right state, you've likely made yourself ill with all your worrying." I paid no mind to what he was saying, and instead, I let out a laugh of happiness before I ran to Mordred and leapt into his arms again.

"Thank God... I was so worried," I whispered into his shoulder as his arms wrapped around me and held me tightly. Breathing him in was more comforting than I ever could've imagined. The feeling of his arms around me, the way my head fit perfectly under his chin, the way he made me feel protected... I couldn't stop myself as I began to cry into his chest.

"So I've been told. Gaius said you haven't been eating."

"She hasn't been moving," Gaius insisted as a wave of dizziness came over me and Mordred pulled away, taking a few of my curls and looking at them as the golden-red of my hair glistened faintly amongst the sea of white, and I blushed. "She's been very stressed. She hasn't stopped worrying over you. You have a very loyal friend there, Mordred."

"He would feel the same for me," I whispered, and Mordred was once again looking at me with an expression I didn't understand. That was when Percival came in, beaming.

"Arthur and Merlin were just seen entering Camelot," he told us happily. "They'll be happy to know their friend is finally awake."

I shared a smile with Mordred before we all took off, going quickly to the courtyard, where our friends would arrive any moment.

We walked down the steps together, both of us grinning widely as we saw the two men.

"Merlin!" I called happily as he got off his horse, and I tossed my arms around him. "Thank you for believing in me."

"You're welcome," he whispered.

"Since when does Merlin get such an enthusiastic hug before I do?" Arthur asked, and I pulled away, beaming at him and Mordred as they greeted each other.

"Since I yelled at him before he left to go on a dangerous journey," I admitted, before turning back to Merlin, turning more serious. "I'm sorry."

"I shouldn't have said what I did," Merlin denied. "If I hadn't said those things, you wouldn't have had a reason to get upset."

"Alright, my turn," Arthur cut in and I laughed, giving him a tight hug.

"What in the world did you do to save him?" I asked as we pulled away and Mordred took my hand, making me blush.

"The only thing we could do," Arthur said, turning a little more solemn. "We're allowing magic in Camelot."

~:~:~:~:~

"This is no accident," Gaius said as he dabbed Leon's face. I had heard of their misfortune and came to help Gaius as best as I could.

It had been a week since Mordred had awoken, and we spent every moment possible together. We were attached at the hip at this point, both of us refusing to leave the presence of the other except to sleep in our respective rooms. I had tried to tell him of my feelings--several times, actually, but when I didn't get choked up from nerves, something would always step in to stop me from saying anything.