5)Possessive

"How did I know  you were going to keep it..." Madison Daz sighed the next afternoon.
Of course Emily couldn't part with the kitten the next day. The little thing snuggled up to her as she slept the night before, making Emily feel tremendous guilt over the idea of dropping it off at the shelter.
Safe Paws  was one of those humane shelters that didn't execute lost animals, but still. The idea of the young kitten being all alone in a cage until someone possibly adopted it was heart wrenching for Emily. So instead of bringing it to the humane society to leave him, Emily took the male kitten to get shots. Her mother gave her the okay to keep the cat as long as it was vaccinated. This now made Emily the proud owner of four parakeets, three hermit crabs, and the newly christened kitten, Rusty.

"Probably because I'm a sucker for a furry face" Emily groaned, petting the small kitten.

Madison smiled, scooping up the  tiny kitten from Emily's lap. "As the local ladies at the hospital would say, you're lookin' purty" she chuckled, poorly attempting a southern accent.

"Thanks mom."
Emily looked down at her outfit choice of a long sleeved blue V-neck dress that fell a little past her mid-thigh. She doesn't often wear dresses without pairing them with light jackets or sweaters. Today, was different. She was aiming for girly.
To top the dress off, Emily even wore a really cute pair of brown heeled ankle boots.
  Emily went out of her way to curl her hair today and let it fall in light brown waves down her back. She also went out of her way to pop in a pair of contacts along with applying a decent amount of makeup. She wanted to appear more glamourous than her usual appearance.
The more time she spent conversing with Declan, the more she was actually starting to like him. Their messages on Perfect Match progressed to phone calls and small texts throughout the day. Declan was more than just a good looking boy - he was incredibly sweet, and a very intellectual person. It was a vast difference from the usual high school boys Emily's sat in classes with for years. Declan could carry on a conversation without making an armpit noise or loudly munching on some type of food product - even Jake didn't have that ability.

Emily didn't feel the same buzz of electricity around Declan as she felt when she simply sat around Jake, but if the date went well and enough time passed, Emily assumed the same feelings would eventually surface. Even though she wasn't exactly sure over her feelings for Declan this early in time, Emily still felt nervous. It was a first date. She hadn't been on one of those since her freshmen year when a boy had invited her on a group pizza date. But even that wasn't one-on-one like this date with Declan would be.
The doorbell rang, causing Emily to become jittery with excitement.

The original plan was to simply meet Declan at the downtown restaurant, but he claimed since they know each other from school it was safe for him to pick her up at her house. It was a very gentlemen type of thing to offer, yet it had Emily crazy nervous anticipating his arrival.
"I'll hold off on meeting him until next date." Madison grinned, carrying Rusty into the family room where her soap opera was still playing out on the TV.

Emily slung her purse over her shoulder as she opened the front door, her hello frozen on her tongue as she found Jake on her large wrap-around porch instead of Declan.
He was wearing one of his evil grins as soon as he saw that it was Emily who opened the door.
"We are having an epic internet search marathon to get us back to being the top ranked on Highly-High!" Jake announced, a determined glee behind his eyes. "We may have lost out on the gay swim captains thing, but I think we're gonna find out coach Cartwright has been praying on high school girls since......uh......what are you wearing?"

Emily's gaze drifted down to her outfit, frowning. Jake said it in such an accusatory voice, Emily felt suddenly embarrassed. "A....dress." She finally said, finding nothing actually wrong with her attire. She looked nice - good looking, even.
  Still, Jake was staring at Emily odd enough that she felt she was half naked in a skimpy swimsuit.

"You're wearing a dress" Jake said, his blue eyes narrowing as if he were trying to make sense of such madness. He looked at Emily in surprise. "Are you going to a funeral?"

Emily resisted a laugh. "Well aren't you sweet. So the only time I could want to wear a dress is when someone dies?"

Jake gave an odd jerk of his shoulders as he watched Emily with a heavy frown. "Your hair...and face...you look different."

"Could you stop acting like I've suddenly grown two separate heads??" Emily asked, feeling rather awkward from how her best friend watched her. Was it really that difficult for a guy just to say you looked good?

"You might as well have..." Jake frowned. "My hoodie clad buddy is now....Not....hoodie clad..." he said strangely, gaping at Emily. "You're dressed up..."

"Again, not looking at me like I'm a three-headed leprechaun would be awesome, Jacob" Emily sighed. "What's up?"

Jake shrugged. "I know I text you to say I was hanging with my dad today, but he ended up taking sauerkraut out for the day......You never text back what your plans were" Jake said, a small frown to him. Emily could see the little gears in his head were trying to shift. He was mentally lost as to why Emily would be dressed like a girl today.
That was inwardly depressing as Emily thought about it - her crush since middle school was appalled to find she was actually looking like a girl.