36)Broken hearts and strange thoughts

A/N
I'm already anticipating people saying this is too short of an update, there's a method for my madness. o,o

I'm planning on ending the story relatively soon within the next four or five chapters. I've hit that time where I could keep going just to extend the book or end it on what I feel is a good ending I've pulled together.  I'd rather end it well then just overdo it. I'm trying to get all the chapters released at once so there's no annoyingly waiting for the next update.
Happy reading!

"Young God" by Halsey
Does the song with the chapter? Nah. But it's catchy as I listen to it so it's going in. xD

_______________________________

"What do you want to talk about?" Jake asked, his tone robotic. He was still dressed in his black blazer and dress pants that he wore exclusively for the funeral the day before. He slept in his clothes, he had a partial beard growing from lack of shaving. The last half hour of the day had been spent with Jake holing one hand to cover his eyes while the other hand randomly lingered on Emily's baby bump. The baby was extremely active that afternoon, prompting Jake to keep gently rubbing her stomach. Feeling the light kicking seemed to calm him. He hadn't said much since Emily stopped by his house. He didn't much nowadays anyway, grief overwhelmed him.

Nine days after the death of Jake's father, his funeral took place. It was tragically sad affair. The United States military set up a lovely memorial in honor of Captain Adam Moseley. Jake was presented a United States flag in honor of his dad, along with a medal detailing some type of honor that Emily was certain Jake wasn't paying attention to. His mother died years earlier, his father's death now left him an orphan. Ever since Emily's parents sadly broke the news of his father's passing, Jake was unusually quiet. He didn't express too much of any emotion. He wasn't sad, nor was he angry. He was far from happy. A strange blankness overtook him where he barely spoke. He was extraordinarily quite to the point that he would sit incredibly too still in a spot not saying a word. If you weren't looking directly at him, you could easily forget he was in a room with you.

It was only very late at night, when in complete and utter privacy that Emily could hear him quietly crying. She had taken to spending the night at Jake's house, or, he would spend the night in the apartment the Daz family were currently renting. Jake would sneak off to the bathroom when he thought she was sleeping. Turning on the shower, he would attempt to drown out the sound of his cries.

It was Jake's sorrow that halted Emily for saying what needed to be said while the investigation into his fathers' death took place. The brakes were cut on his truck. They worked for a short while Mr. Moseley drove until he was going too fast down a certain point of road. Without even meaning to, his truck spun out and went over a bridge that fell into a thick ravine. Sickly, Jake had been considered a person of interest in his own father's murder. It was pure dumb luck that prevented him in driving his truck that day, all because Mr. Moseley was allowing Jake to see Emily sooner by having him take his car to fill up with gas instead of Jake's truck. After Adam Moseley dropped his mother off, he died not too long after that. The police looked at that moment of Jake not driving his truck as a sign that perhaps he knew something was wrong with it beforehand.

Luckily Emily's parents called Roman Donovan and paid him to get Jake out of the jam. Not only was Jake released from questioning, the Austin PD even offered an apology and their condolences. There was only so much they could do when a top-notch attorney bitch-slapped the police department with a negligence lawsuit in failing to question Declan along with a harassment charge. After that, they were very cooperative. Even though Emily and her parents were adamant that one or both of the Carter children were responsible for the crime, neither of them were even questioned regarding Mr. Moseley's death. Still, Emily knew one or both of them was guilty. Her money was on Declan personally, but, there was no proof that he was even at Jake's house when the breaks were cut. At least that's what the police were saying.