Chapter 2

Dinner was long and savory. Matilda, the aunt's fat housemaid, who took care of the kitchen, cleaning, gardening and many other duties around the house, had put on a new white apron, bought specially for such occasions. She then emerged in to-and-fro between the kitchen and terrace, where the aunt had set the table. One by one, the goodies thoroughly prepared for this special occasion were set before them.

'You see, Miss, we rarely have visitors from the city, such as yourself' said Matilda, catching her breath between two trips.

After the steaming soup, which Victoria had enjoyed until the last drop - even though she knew manners dictate one should leave a couple of spoons in the plate - Matilda brought a huge plate with the star of the evening: stuffed chicken. Victoria had never been a grubber, but now she simply couldn't stop. Carrots, peas, onions, pumpkins, apples and lemons brought together by the taste of the chicken being cooked slowly in the oven, how can one not succumb to such temptation? Dinner ended triumphantly with a crunchy layered apple pie and the aunt's famous lemonade. They decided to have their desserts in the orchard, taking in the fragrant breeze of the evening. Victoria felt an irresistible urge to go on the swing under the nut tree, while her aunt sat on the bench next to it, with her yarn and knitting needles on her lap.

'I could stay here forever' said Victoria, amazed at her own words.

'So what's stopping you, dear?' her aunt said. 'You can stay for as long as you want. The entire summer, even.'

'And what am I supposed to do here all summer, Aunt Alice? I'd just keep eating and come autumn, I'll be the fattest girl in school.'

The aunt barely kept from laughing. All girls think about is their figure. Was she also like that long, long time ago?

'But you have so many things to do and see in this village, as abandoned as it may seem. You're not the child who needs to ask for permission anymore. You can visit the fair during holidays... Or the antique shops... And the library... Oh, and we have such a beautiful forest, filled with the most wonderful and rarest flowers. You simply have to see it!"

'But what will the villagers think when they'll see a girl walking around by herself?'

'Don't you worry' laughed the aunt. 'If you said you were traveling with Virginia Pop, that means the whole village knows who you are, why you are here and for how long. The people here are nice and friendly and a new and pretty girl, such as you, will surely tingle them. I could join you, alas, the piano lessons take most of my time, especially now, during the summer.'

Victoria thought about it and her aunt's plans didn't sound so bad after all. She would still take a couple of books with her, just in case she got bored.

The night had settled in, with the air growing colder, scattering the last signs of light and heat. The stars covered the sky and they appeared closer and brighter than she remembered. From under the old walnut tree, Victoria could see how, one by one, the creatures of the night made their appearance, twirling in a dance known only by themselves; fireflies sparkling here and there, crickets singing vigorously now that the night had taken over the orchard and nightingales with their songs sweetening the fresh air.

Victoria muffled a yawn and even though she wanted to spend the night on the swing under the tree, she had to admit that the day had exhausted her.

'I think I'm going to call it a night, Aunt Alice. Thank you for this wonderful day. Good night!' she said, slowly getting up.

'Good night, dear' whispered Aunt Alice, kissing her forehead. 'And, please, cut down on the reading. You're tired and you have a whole day ahead of you. The night is for sleeping and beautiful dreams...'