Chapter 6

The scolding was not as bad as she'd imagined. The aunt had too felt the chills of first love and clearly understood her. Even Matilda stopped her bickering. Victoria chose to drink just a cup of tea that evening. Not because it was late, but the day was far too emotional to leave any room for food.

She kissed her aunt goodnight and went to her room with a pacing heart. She covered the mirror with a bed sheet without even glimpsing at her milky surface. And she went fast asleep, thinking of the moon, the fireflies and the blue-eyed boy.

She was awaked by a crisp breeze. She got up and saw the curtains fluttering in the window. She was sure she'd closed it. Outside, the scenery was as heartless as the night before. She couldn't even hear the clock ticking. She tried desperately not to look in the mirror, but an unseen force pushed her into doing it. The bed sheet had fallen off and the mirror was clearer than ever. She looked at it and touched her auburn locks. The same locks that had touched Paul's cheek. She smiled, thinking that in just a couple of hours they would see each other again. But her smile transformed in a grin that wasn't hers. And, to her dismay, her head tilted and her eyes watched her with greed.

'Come, Victoria, come...' whispered the girl in the mirror.

For a second, Victoria thought she was dreaming. Perhaps the old lady was really crazy and put weird potions in their tea, making them delirious. She pinched herself hard until her nails bruised her skin. But nothing happened. The being in the mirror was still staring at her, with a predatory look on her face. It then stretched its hand out and touched the surface that now looked like a sheet of water. The hand stretched out from the other side, touching her cheek. Victoria pulled back in terror. She had never been more frightened in her life. Her heart was pounding in her ears. Everything around her was incredibly still, like a painted canvas.

'Don't be afraid,' said the voice in the mirror. 'You know you want to come... Come...'

Victoria tried to fight back. Was she dreaming? She wanted to pour herself a glass of water, but her hand was shaky and she dropped the water jug on the floor, breaking it in thousands of pieces. And, dreadfully, the drop made no sound whatsoever. And something stronger than herself pushed her towards the mirror. A deep, unbreakable yearning to touch it. That's all... Just touch it. What could go wrong?

She felt like she was floating in a dream, going towards an alluring light. A dream you wish you could get out of, but can't, even though you know it's just a dream. She also stretched her hand towards the milky surface. Her hand went through to the other side and grew pleasantly numb. She felt tingles on her entire arm. The objects around her started spinning faster and faster. Her head was whooshing and a hum took over her mind, making her unable to think. She was slowly fainting...

She woke up in a daze. Her aunt had called her, but it wasn't clear to her what she wanted. Her head still hurt and her sight was foggy.

'Get up, lazy bones,' said the aunt, shaking her violently. 'It's passed six!'

When she came round, she saw the aunt pulling the curtains away. She was dressed funny, in a puffy drab dress and a blouse buttoned all the way up, with the collar reaching her neck and a disgraceful goiter hanging above it. She had a bonnet on her head; it was once white, but now it was dirty and yellowish.

'What happened?' asked Victoria baffled. When she came through, she noticed her room changed overnight. Shabby and ragged, with old, drab furniture. The only pieces of furniture were the bed, a chair and a chest of drawers with an old porcelain doll on it, which seemed familiar. The floor was dirty and unpolished and the walls were covered with wallpaper that had long lost its pattern and its grip. The only thing she truly remembered was the mirror. It was the same one, but the colors on the decorations looked more vivid, the wood seemed newer and the images reflecting in it were much clearer.