Chapter 8

'I don't know how to act around her,' said Aunt Alice to Matilda. 'She's completely changed. It's like she is a different person. She's not laughing anymore, let alone speaking to anyone. She's roaming around the village all day like she's looking for something. I asked her to go home if she doesn't like it here anymore, but she stubbornly refused. She keeps telling me she has something to do... and I don't even know where she is now. What might have happened to her? How can I explain her mother, my sister, this drastic change?'

Aunt Alice wiped the tears from her eyes with the handkerchief she kept in the sleeves of her lacy blouse.

'She seems different to me, too,' said Matilda. 'I even saw her walking around the house in the middle of the night, like she was looking for something. She scared me senseless. I'm telling you that the orphan boy has something to do with it. People are talking; they're saying the two of them visited the old witch on top of the hill. God knows what kind of black magic she's done to her... God have mercy on our souls!' said Matilda, eyes to the sky, crossing her heart.

'If that's the case, I know what needs to be done,' the aunt said with determination. 'I'll find him and get him to tell me what happened to her.' And with that, she grabbed her knitted shawl, tidied up her hair and stormed out the door.

She found him throwing rocks in a puddle at the edge of the village. Paul knew something happened that night. The kind and sweet Victoria changed into a cold hearted soul. He tried talking to her several times, he missed seeing her, smelling her fresh perfume, walk around the forest, and talking about whatever they felt like. Did their kiss mean anything to her?

But something troubled him even more. When he called her name and she looked at him like he was a stranger. And that look... That cold, empty look...

"The eyes are the mirror to the soul, the eyes don't lie." That's what the old witch said. And then he knew. Those eyes weren't Victoria's! The mere thought made him shiver. The girl that looked exactly like her was not really Victoria!

Paul didn't even hear Aunt Alice approaching. He sprung up on his feet and almost bumped into her.

'Good day, young man,' said Aunt Alice gently. 'I want to talk to you. It's important. It's about Victoria.'

'Follow me, Miss Alice,' he begged her. 'I know what happened to Victoria.'

The aunt hesitated.

'What do you mean? Where are we going?'

'We're going to the house on top of the hill,' said the boy in a hurry.

But the aunt didn't budge. 'I'm not going up there! I just want to help Victoria! I want my niece back!' she incisively said.

Paul turned to her and smiled encouragingly:

'I want the same thing, Miss Alice. The girl living in your house is not Victoria! Together we'll bring the real Victoria back.'

The woman in black was looking curiously at the two visitors from the doorstep. When she noticed Victoria wasn't with them, she immediately opened the door with great concern. Paul barged in while the aunt walked timidly behind him. They went through the dark corridors until the warm light from the reading saloon engulfed them, scattering their fear away. The aunt sat, still frightful, on the couch, while a spotted cat curled up on her lap like it'd known her forever. She's known about the old lady very well, but they never spoke. What could a witch and a piano teacher have in common, she thought every time she saw the lonely old lady around town, avoided by everyone.