Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The frantic voice of someone calling my name woke me up. I sat up groggily, and immediately noticed Jason sitting at the edge of my bed. I scowled at him as I saw the time; it was only 6 a.m.

"What do you want, Jason?!" I snapped irritably, rubbing my eyes sleepily. As my vision cleared, I could see the dark circles under Jason's eyes, and his expression was full of despair. I frowned, my heart starting to beat a little faster. What's going on? I thought.

"Mom's not home yet. She said she was working in late, but it's 6 in the morning now, and she's never been out this late," Jason said miserably. "She hasn't even called, and isn't picking up her phone," he added.

I couldn't breathe. It seemed as if there was no air surrounding me. "W-what?!" I choked out. All my sleepiness was gone, and I threw my covers off, jumping out of my bed.

Stumbling a little, I reached for my phone, and with shaking hands, dialed my Mom's cell phone number. It kept ringing, and no one picked up. I tried again two more times, and still no one picked up.

Jason grabbed my shoulders, and forced me to sit back on the bed. "I'm sure she's fine. I mean, she might have had an emergency or something," he said soothingly. I knew he was trying to stay strong for me, even though he himself was worried sick out of his mind about Mom.

"W-where's Ulises?" my voice cracked.

"He's downstairs, trying to find out more about where Mom-"

Ulises burst into my room at that moment, a look of relief on his face. "Mom did have an emergency. There was a huge accident somewhere, they didn't tell me where, and there weren't enough doctors to tend to the injured."

 "They asked Mom, and other doctors to go there, and she agreed. Even Sarah's gone," he explained. "And I have her phone. She left it here before leaving for work."

I sighed in relief, and Jason's shoulders relaxed as well. I plopped down in a lying position on my bed. Ulises continued talking. "She's going to stay there for about 3 weeks, apparently."

"Three weeks?! What kind of accident was it?! And what are we going to do about her?" Jason pointed at me. "You have work, and college, I have practice, and games to attend to. We can't leave her alone!" he exclaimed.

I groaned. "I'm not a baby, Jason. I can take care of myself. It's not like you're not coming back home."

"No. It's not safe-"

"Fine! I'll stay at Beth's! Or, she'll come to our house!" I said, frustrated. Did they think I don't know how to take care of myself?

"But, two girls alone in the house isn't a very safe thing-"

"Are you kidding me, Jason?!" I practically yelled at him. "We've done this thousands of times in the past, and now you're telling me it's not a safe thing? You...I'm not a baby!"

Jason and Ulises burst out laughing. "Your face!" Jason managed between laughs. "Jeez, I'm kidding Ellie. I'm fine with you staying with Beth," he laughed more, and ruffling my hair, he got up, and with Ulises on his heels, left my room.

"Idiot," I muttered under my breath. My eyes felt droopy once everything quieted down, and I debated whether to just go back to sleep. I mean, today was Saturday, and I was planning on sleeping in late.

 After a few minutes, as I got sleepier, I decided to just sleep for a few hours, so that I don't feel exhausted all day.

I was on the verge of falling asleep, when my phone went off. I groaned, and picked up my phone. Scrunching my eyebrows, as I failed to recognize the number, I clicked the answer button.