Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Previously:

 My combination lock was broken in half, the bottom part on the ground and the top half-ring still hanging on the handle. The locker was slightly open, and I cautiously opened it further.

   "Ellie, what's wrong?" Ace asked as him and Beth joined me.

  I didn't reply, peeking into my locker to see if there was something wrong. There was. My gym shorts were torn apart completely, the pieces strewn across the locker bottom, and my gym shirt was hanging on one of the hooks.

  On the white shirt was something written with red spray paint;

  'You better be careful from now on Babe. Lots of love ;)'

My heart was racing so hard, I thought I would faint. Who would do this? Rip my clothes and then spray paint the shirt with such threatening words? Who else...besides Luke?

  "Ellie?" Ace repeated.

  When I didn't reply, I was gently shoved aside from my locker, and Ace took my earlier place, now standing in front of my locker.

  His whole posture went rigid when he saw the shirt, and probably the words etched onto it. His face started turning red, and for a second, even I looked at him in fear. But it vanished just as quickly, since he was obviously in is protective mode again.

  He turned to me, yanking the shirt from the hook. His gaze was murderous, and I actually flinched. He noticed my expression, for he softened his and took deep breaths.

  "It was Luke, wasn't it." It wasn't a question. He already knew it was Luke.

  "What was Luke?" Beth's voice floated up to us, and before any of us could reply, she snatched the white gym shirt from Ace's hand. Frowning, she spread it open, only to drop it with a shocked expression.

  "That bastard went too far this time!" She exclaimed, bending down to pick the shirt up. "We have to report it to the police." When she saw my look, she said "Or at least the principal..."

  "We can't. We have no solid proof that it was actually Luke who did this," Ace spit out with anger.

 "But we can't just let things like this keep happening again and again! What if next time there's no warning, and something happens to El-"  She broke off suddenly, but I already knew what she was trying to say. So did Ace.

  His whole face changed from anger to realization as he probably thought Beth was right. He pulled me close to him and lightly stroked my hair.

  "I won't let anything happen to her," he murmured, and my heart soared at his words.

 I knew I should've probably been worrying about Luke and his threat, but I couldn't help but think how much I liked the closeness of both of us. I was a complete fool when it came to Ace.

  Beth smiled at me, and mouthed, "you are so gone" at me, making me blush and pull away. I patted my hair to smooth it back, and cleared my throat awkwardly.

  "Um....I think I should go to Ms. Kim (I cringed at the thought) to get another uniform so I don't get points off tomorrow," I said to both of them, and took off walking towards her office, not waiting for a reply.

  "Hold it. I'm coming with you." Ace frowned at me, then gently twined our fingers together. 

  My cheeks red, I turned to Beth and said "You can wait at my house, Mom's not home anyway," I threw my house keys at her and she caught it. We had already planned on spending the day in my house together. I suddenly realized how I hadn't even thought of my Mom once during the two weeks.