Chapter 6.

The pair rested in a hotel lining the edge of the sea. It hung over it, emanating a false appearance of authority .The tide bashed against the hotel, rebelliously, as if to shout 'you don't own me'. Harper peered through one the many windows; legs hung over the ledge, remising in thoughts only known to him.

The girl placed a hand over that of Harper and peered into his eyes. They seemed to perturb his fragile face. Almost bulging out of the sockets, ensnared in their fleshy cage. His blue eyes shockingly burnish over paling skin. His body shook uncontrollably as thoughts darkened and crept through the sullen parts of his mind. Rifling through neatly packed boxes and frolicking with feelings of anger and great fear.

"It's okay, you know..." The girl started but the silence chased her feeble voice away; seizing it with a swift blow of fear.

Harper looked on. His lanky legs hung over the ocean. From where he sat he could see the waves crash against one another. He sighed; letting his bony shoulders roll over, relax. He changed the subject. The girl lay along the edge of the windowpane, holding her hands in a tidy bundle at her knees. Her back pressed against the window. Deeper into the room the radio crackled, "And following recent news a boy has been reported missing after being sighted at a local school building three nights ago. Police say they will be launching a full investigation into his disappearance-" it crackled again and lost frequency.

"They're going to find us." Harper remained entranced by the view, but his voice wasn't distant. It was close and warm, wrapping itself around the girl and pulling her in nearer to him. "Maybe-maybe it would be best if you," the girl cut him off-

"You know I won't." she turned to face him but he was far, far away. "Listen to me. Harper. Listen!" she stood up and pressed her face into his, "I'm not going anywhere until we finish what we came here to do. Do you understand?" he locked eyes with her and for the first time she could see the distress and woe in them. They leapt across his pupils and hid in the depth of opal. His mouth smoothed into a line, shaped poisonous words but the sounds that escaped were frothy and light, like candied floss. His exterior –usually calm- shook as if he were aged sixty years more than he let on. He nodded and looked back at the sea. "They can wait."

The radio popped,

"The family are yet to comment-" frequency lost, again. The pair remained in silence as the news reporter's voice breezed in and out of the room. Finally, gathering her courage the girl walked into the kitchen and switched the radio off.