Chapter 3| Wet Thy Principal

"The original bad boy never cares about anyone but himself. He has no reason to."

Chapter 3| Wet Thy Principal

I remain seated and wait for the dismissal bell.

The side of my head hurts beyond anything one can imagine and I'm tempted to march up to the lazy bum in the hallway and give him a swift punch to his perfectly straight nose. While the students attend their classes, Arsen goofs around with his "friends" in the hallways promoting disturbance in the school. Like I said before, the principal falls lenient on him after the fire episode.

Glancing around, I sigh in frustration because neither Isa nor Danie have AP Calculus with me.

They hate math.

Ben can't come back to school for another week. Therefore, I'm alone in many of my classes. It's hard work trying to look busy while everyone else has their friends around. As soon the bell roars overhead, I rush out.

Must. Beat. Lunch. Traffic.

Unfortunately during my jogging downstairs, someone blocks my path. My body jerks to the side by a strong hand gripping my elbow. Instantly, my eyes snap to meet an emotionless face. He opens the door that leads to the school courtyard and shoves me out, much against my protests. Did he not understand the fact that I didn't want to see his face? A while ago, I may have considered approaching him since we were close friends, at one point.

After last week's incidents, no thank you.

Only I know how I convinced my parents about tripping and falling down on a rock to receive such an injury to my head.

"What do you want?" I ask irritated.

Without responding, his hand trails up to my face and touch my jaw. My breath hitches as I feel tiny tingles on my skin. He turns my face and examines the side of my head he punched. I can clearly make out the features of his face with the strong and defined jaw line. His cheeks are slightly pink from the cool autumn weather. On his forehead, I spot a thin scar slightly hidden under his dark hair.

Realizing his useless intention to check my injury, I strike his hand away.

"Not too bad," he concludes before meeting my eyes. "Your head, I mean. Didn't even need any stitches."

"Gee thanks," I reply sarcastically.

"Look . . . er--"

"Valerie Cruz," I introduce, giving him a dirty look. In all these years, he forgot my name? Arsen's jaw hardens and he runs a hand through his hair. I don't understand the actions.

"I know," he says in a low voice. Did he really? "Never mind." Just like that, I don't get to get to hear whatever he was going to say earlier. He steps closer to me with me reciprocating by stepping back. Sadly, I hit a bench and lose my balance, falling hard on the seat. My butt hurt. Arsen shakes his head at my clumsiness and bends down eye-level. "I brought you here to give you my first and last warning; Don't ever try to meddle in something you'll regret. What happened here," the tips of his fingers tracing my hurt temple, "can most definitely happen again."

My heavy breathing is a result of the lack of space I'm allowed to breathe in.

Although I flinch at his words, an exhilarating feeling course through me.

His proximity always had an effect on me. Ever since the day his family moved in next to my house, we became great friends. Almost inseparable. We even made our own vows to each which I'm sure he's long since forgotten.

One accident changes people forever.

People and relationships.

"Why did you get into all this mess, Arsen?" I inquire.