12| Do We Have A Deal?

"The original bad boy . . . only saves lives of those who are beneficial to him."

12| Do We Have A Deal?

Arsen blinks back at my mother as if she's a mafia lord.

Oh wait, he probably knows many of those.

"How have you been, sweetie?" Mom asks him.

He's anything but a sweetie.

I awkwardly lean back in my chair and play with my nails. Because I polished them a day or two ago, I couldn't even bite them.

"Good," Arsen answers curtly.

"How was the food?" she asks.

"Good."

Good?

He eats an entire lobster by himself and calls it good? Upon observation, I realize Arsen's fidgeting in his seat under Mom's interrogation. She just hasn't seen him in ages and wants to see how he's doing.

"And your uncle? Is he alright? I heard he hasn't been having much--"

"I have to leave," Arsen cuts her off rudely and vehemently pushes back his chair. He drops a fifty dollar note from his pocket on the table before leaving us amazed. My eyes follow his back till he disappears in the crowd.

Mom looks at the money in utter disappointment.

"Give that back to him when you see him again," she says, referring to the fifty bucks. "I shouldn't have mentioned his uncle. It's our fault he ended up with that man."

That tragic night.

"It was all my fault," I mumbled.

"We can't change what happened, Val," she states. "Just give him back his money. Food's free for family members. Including the ex-members."

I don't know how to take those words as she leaves me.

If she knew about Arsen's reputation, she won't even allow me five feet near Arsen's bike let alone the guy himself.

I pick up the note and shove it in my jeans' pocket.

* *

That night, I don't get a chance to talk to my dad about the threats at the diner. Mom refused to leave his side even for a minute.

The following day, my gang and I meet up at my house in the afternoon. It's Saturday and we have nothing to do. They insist on going down to the diner. I tag along, willingly. I don't want any trouble with Arsen's people. While Isa and Danie text on their cell phones, I stroll in anticipation as we almost reach the diner.

"Guys, I have to tell you something," I say aloud.

Isa and Danie mumble for me to continue.

Cautiously, I inform them about the school's ruthless rebels threatening me to leave this diner for their business. Their eyes pop wide and lace with concern.

"Why didn't you say something earlier?!" Danie queries.

"Because I was stupid--"

"No kidding," Isa agrees. I glare at her. "Arsen told us to stay away! His people are messed up and you still chose to overlook that? Val, they are smokers, murderers (probably), and complete nutcases. If they give a warning, it means we back the heck off. Not only did you put yourself in danger, but also us."

Never have I seen her so serious.

Her words draw in slowly and I can't help but accept what she said.