chapter two: getting to know antonio

My eyes flickered open to the glare of the sun. I rubbed them, glancing around me. I was lying in Antonio’s bed, clutching his sheets in my hands. Memories from last night flooded back to my mind as I rolled out of his ridiculously comfortable bed. It was like sleeping on cloud, ten times better than the one that I had at my house. I grabbed my clothes off the floor, sliding them on quickly, as I moved out the door. I tiptoed down the hall quietly, trying to avoid the awkward conversation that occurred after one night stands.

My eyes flickered around the long hallway until I caught sight of the stair case. I moved swiftly down the steps, and out onto the lobby, my eyes on the pearl white front door ahead of me. Just as my hand gripped the door knob, Antonio’s voice echoed behind me.

“Leaving?” he asked in that deep sexy voice of his. I bit my lip, turning around to face him. He was half-naked, water droplets dripping down his pecs, as he held a towel around his waist.

“I – I thought that’s how these things work,” I replied stumbling across my words. Antonio shook his head, as he moved down the steps, towards me with a grin on his face.

“Robert, you’re adorable,” he remarked his fingers sliding across my cheek. “Come on. At least have breakfast with me before you leave.”

I folded, letting the door go, as I followed him towards his kitchen, where breakfast had been prepared. He was quite the charmer and of course, after breakfast, he convinced me to go for a swim in his pool. Then after that a deep tissue massages, and then a ride on his yacht, then after that dinner at a restaurant in town. Antonio was clever. He was good at getting people to do what he wanted. He was a natural charmer. I didn’t know how to say no, but then again, I kind of didn’t want to say no.

All of the attention Antonio was giving me made me forget about Neil. By the end of the weekend, Neil was a faded memory in the back of my mind. And yes, I stayed with Antonio for the entire weekend. He didn’t let me leave until Sunday night and even then, he didn’t want me to go.

“Antonio, I have work in the morning,” I replied as he planted soft kisses on my neck.

“Take the day off,” he said his arms securely wrapped around my waist. “Hell – quit your job and move in here with me. You’ll never have to work again.”

“Antonio,” I said my face flushing a red color at the thought. “We just met.”

“And,” he scoffed. “I live for the moment, Rob. Life is short. I know what I want and when I want something, I don’t stop until I have it.”

I laughed but if I had known better, I wouldn’t have. Antonio had been telling the truth. When he wants something, he doesn’t stop until he gets it. He’ll do anything, including hurt the ones closest to him, in order to succeed. He’s ruthless. That’s what made him so dangerous. All the signs had been there, when we first met, but I was so blinded by his charm, intelligence and good looks that I didn’t see it. The old Robert would have run as far away from him as he could, but the new Robert wanted to try something new.

That week, Antonio continued to pursue me. He sent all sorts of gifts, starting with expensive chocolates and exotic flowers to my job, paintings, and people to cut my lawn, fish tanks, and even a Hi Definition 3D TV. Antonio had given me more gifts in a week then Neil had given me in all of the 12 years we had been together. Any time I tried to return them or refuse them, Antonio would say the same thing in that accent of his, ‘They’re just gifts, Robert’.

 I had so many gifts; I practically didn’t even recognize my house anymore.

“Did someone get a raise or what?” Vivian asked as she stepped inside of my place. “Nice paintings.”