chapter seven: agents

“It was that bad,” Vivian asked after I had told her about Antonio and I’s argument in Hawaii. I didn’t leave out any details. I had to tell someone and Vivian already knew about his unsavory work.

“He was so mad Viv,” I said running my fingers through my hair. “I haven’t said anything to him since. I don’t know what to say. Hell, I don’t even know if us being together is a good thing.”

“Are you going to break up with him?” Vivian asked wide eyed. I shrugged. At this point, it seemed like the only viable option. I like Antonio a lot. I really do, but things just were getting too intense for me. I don’t think I could be with Antonio, knowing all of the things that I know. He was involved in a dangerous business and as Leon would say, I’m just too vanilla for this sort of relationship. I think I had danced with the devil long enough.

“Maybe I should just get back with Neil,” I groaned slumping into her leather couch. “He was literally begging for me back a few weeks ago.”

“I don’t know boo,” Vivian said. “All I know is you can’t hide out here forever and avoid him.”

“I know I know,” I replied. “I’ll have to go back to his place eventually. All my things are there.”

Before Vivian could say anything else, there was a knock at her door. Vivian stood up walking over to her front door. I didn’t know she was expecting anyone. My eyes opened wide, as I heard the voice of a man.

“Good evening Ma’am, My name is Brad Johnson and I’m an agent with DEA,” a voice said from the door. “I’m looking for a man by the name of Robert Collins.”

I slumped into my seat, my throat instantly turning dry all of a sudden. The DEA wanted to talk to me. Why me? Hell, how do they even know that I was here? My eyes quickly darted behind me, as Vivian cleared her throat, allowing them inside. Shit. Shit. Shit. I fumbled with my fingers as a tall man wearing normal clothes oddly enough walked into Vivian’s living room. He was DEA. He must be undercover.

“Robert Colllins? I’m Brad Johnson and I’m with the DEA,” he said extending a hand towards me. “Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”

“Um – I guess,” I stumbled across my words. “Am I in some sort of trouble?”

“No,” he replied glancing over at Vivian. “Do you mind, Miss?”

“I’ll be upstairs,” Vivian said quickly moving upstairs towards her bedroom, leaving me all alone with Agent Johnson. This was about Antonio. It had to be about him. It just had to be. I watched as Agent Johnson sat down across from me, sliding a folder towards me. I glanced at the name on it – Antonio Estevez.

“Are you familiar with this man?” he asked showing me a photo of Antonio. I glanced at it, nodding complacently.

“What sort of relationship do you have with him? Are you two close?” Agent Johnson asked.

“We’re close I guess,” I shrugged, my eyes immediately flickering to my hands. This guy was making me nervous.

“So you’re close? Friends? Enemies? Associates?” Agent Johnson went on, his eyes watching me. “Lovers?”

I glanced up at him as soon as he stopped at lovers. It was obvious that he was aware of the extent of our relationship.

“That’s what I thought,” Agent Johnson nodded. “So tell me Robert? How does one such as yourself get involved with a man like Antonio? You’ve got a squeaky clean record. Not even as much as a parking ticket, yet you’re dating one of the most notorious drug lord in this area since Pablo Escobar.