chapter four: an old friend

“Antonio,” I growled, storming into his office. He glanced from his desk, his eyes meeting mine, a grin creeping across his face. I swear he’s a sadomasochist. He gets off on pissing me off and making me upset. It was like he enjoyed it even more so, than having sex with me. But I wouldn’t have it this time. He couldn’t smile at me and have his way like usual. He was going to listen to my demands and appease them, like a good boyfriend.

“Yes Robbie,” he said standing up from his desk to grip me in a hug. His lips pressed against my cheek, as he slid his hands in mine. 

“Is it absolutely necessary for you to have your ‘employees’ follow me on a day to day basis?” I groaned. “I think I can go to the supermarket without being spied on.”

“Robert, it’s for your protection,” he sighed. “A lot of people have seen you here and I’m certain they know of your connection to me. They could use you to hurt me, you know that. I just want to be sure that you’re safe at all times.”

“Hold on? Hold on? How many enemies do you exactly have?” I said raising an eyebrow.

“One or two that I know of, but it’s a cutthroat business literally,” Antonio chuckled.

“Well that’s just perfect,” I said walking out of his office. “Well I can take care of myself. Your concern is noted, but I don’t need you spying on me.”

“Fine,” Antonio called out as I stormed down the hall. My protection? I doubt someone would try to kill at the grocery store. There were way too many people around. I mean sure he probably has enemies out there, but I had a sinking suspicion that he had them following me for more than just protection. Antonio wanted to know where I was and what I was doing at all times. Anytime I went out, he wanted to know where I was going, who I was going with and how long I’d be gone. He was treating me like some sort of child. Neil could care less where I went, but then again, he did cheat on me. I guess I just wasn’t used to someone being so caring.

That evening, I drove to the pharmacy to pick up my heartburn medication and other things. I was tossing a pack of condoms in my cart, when I glanced over to see Neil standing a few feet away from me. I bit my lip, as I approached him.

“Neil,” I said causing him to glance up at me. He walked towards me, shoving his hands into his pocket. What a coincidence he’d be here the same time I was?

“Robert? What are you doing here?” Neil asked curiously. “How are you doing?”

“I’m doing well. I was just picking up a few things,” I said Neil’s eyes flickering across my cart, briefly. I wonder if he noticed the condoms.

“Oh,” he nodded. “I uh drove by your place the other day but you moved?”

“Oh yeah,” I replied casually. “I’m staying with a friend. You know it’s cheaper.”

I didn’t want him to know I was living with my boyfriend. I mean Neil and I had just broken up like a month and a half ago. He’d totally judge me if he knew I had moved in with the first guy I met after him. I didn’t want him talking about me to all our friends or even my family for that matter.

“Oh,” Neil nodded. “You know I’m sorry about everything that happened between us. I shouldn’t have just walked out on you like that especially after twelve years of being together. I was being rash and I wasn’t thinking. I didn’t mean anything I said about you being boring and all.”

“That really means a lot to me, Neil,” I said running my fingers through my hair.

“Are you doing anything right now?” Neil asked. “I was wondering if you maybe wanted to grab a drink or something.”