Chapter 1

I do not own Over The Garden Wall, All characters belong to Patrick McHale. The paragraph below is Wirt's Version of Into The Unknown. Please enjoy this fanfic.

Led through the mist, Under the milk light of the moon, everything lost is now found. From my long by gone love, and the mere whispers of the souls. What have I become and where shall I end. If dreams can't come true then why not pretend? Oh how the bitter wind, beckons through my hair, as I tumble, and fall in despair. Trapped in a swirl of forgotten memories, as the darkness takes my all.

As the darkness takes my all.

Wirt's Pov

"How long has it been," I asked myself as I wandered deeper into the forests of the Unknown, a.k.a. my home ever since I became the new lantern bearer or beast to the residents of the Unknown. I looked up to see the everlasting midnight blue sky dotted with pearly-white stars and sighed to myself. "Boy, it can get so lonely here in the Unknown," I said with a hint of sadness in my voice as I kept on walking in search of more Adelwood for my lantern, until my foot hit something. As I looked down to see what my foot has kicked my eyes instantly water. There was an all too familiar kettle at my feet and an all too familiar croak as well. With tears already rushing down my face as my trembling hands pick up the item that was once dear to my brother, I take a look inside it. And there he was, Jason Funderburker, the frog that Greg spent many days thinking of a proper name for him is in there inside and slowly dying because of hypothermia. "Oh Jason, old buddy not you too," I mumbled bare audible for anyone to hear. He give a weak croak as his breath is slowly staggering and I slowly put my slightly cold hand on him after a few minutes he stopped breathing. I closed my eyes and sighed holding the now dead frog in my hands. "I don't know how to feel any more, for the past year or so I've seen the death of so many things, from the smallest rabbit to hearing the pleas and cries of a grown man as the branches of the Adelwood slowly kill him," I cried in rage. I have no feelings for death now , all I can just feel is the numbness inside of me. I stared back to the corpse of Jason Funderburker and Greg's kettle, which is now slightly rusty. As I buried the frog's body next to Greg's tree, new feeling grows inside of me; emptiness.

Beatrice Pov

I was gazing out the window seeing the never ending forest of the Unknown, as the autumn leaves fall to the now brown grass thinking about Wirt and Greg and wondering if they would ever return to the Unknown. It's been a year since I was turned into bluebird and meeting the clarinet playing nerd and his optimistic frog-loving brother. Do they still remember me? Will they ever return? All these questions are spinning in my head like the old mill beside my house and are yearning for answers. As all of this was happening I was snapped out of my trance when I herd my name being called.

"Beatrice, child this is the third time I called your name," my mom scolded at me. "Oh Sorry Mom, what is it that you wanted me to do," I sheepishly answered. " I need you to give these pumpkin pies I baked to Miss Langtree's school today," she sighed. " I would have gone myself ,but one of your brothers have gotten sick and I have to take care of him." Even though I don't want to go take the pies over there ,but it's been getting kind of boring here at home. I was also dying to feel the leaves crunch under my feet again and the cool autumn breeze against my face. " Sure mom I'll take the pies over to Miss Langtree's school," I replied. "Thanks Honey, just remember to beware of the Beast and don't go too deep into the forest," said mother with a tired smile on her face. Even though I know my way around the woods of the Unknown since I lived here my entire life, there's rumors going around that people are starting to become missing after wandering too deep inside the Unknown. Some say that it's the Beast's doing, but others say that they probably died by being attacked by a wild animal or from lack of food or something. Either way I just have to be quick and not wander too far away from the trail and I should be out of harm's way. It's not like Adelaide is going to magically come back to life and turn me into a bluebird again if I step on a pumpkin or a black turtle or whatever.

* Timeskip brought to you by a Rock Fact # 1; Did you if you soak a raisin in grape juice, it turns into a grape :D *

"Goodbye Beatrice and Take care when walking through the forest," said Miss Langtree as I walked out the red schoolhouse. "Be sure to tell your mother thank you for the delicious pies she sent us," she added. "Yes Miss Langtree I will and goodbye," I responded as I waved back at her and headed toward the forest. As I was walking I was surprised on how much she changed the last time I saw her. After her long lost love, Jimmy B., was found in the gorilla suit, they have gotten married soon after and are now expecting to have twins soon. "Last time I saw her he had some serious baggage and was just a sad lovesick hot mess," I thought to myself as I walked through the familiar Adelwood trees of the Unknown. Then all of a sudden I hear some faint singing deep in forest his voice sounded a bit familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on where have I heard that mysterious and yet gentle voice singing deep in the woods of the Unknown.

Can't You See I'm Lonely, Lonely as Can Be
For I want you only, there's no one else for me
And you know it
Sometimes dear I wonder why you keep away
Leaving me so lonely.......

Lonely Night and Day.

So here's the first chapter 😄 and I will try to update as much as possible and try to have long chapters. So please enjoy this Fanfic and if you have any suggestions please comment below.