Part 1

*A.N.: Published on Wattpad March-9th-2016. 

Hello everyone!

Thank you all for reading!

This book is left only as a sample on Wattpad as it is published on Amazon and in one of their programs requiring exclusivity.

Not all is lost though! Books 2 and 3 are left on Wattpad as they are, meaning complete and continuing the story, and there is a recap at the beginning of Book 2 with what happened in the first book.

Thanks again!You rock!

Original Cover below:

Jena Abbyline Rork is the first daughter of Alpha Magnus Rork of the Oasis Pack.

"Abbyline! Take the pitcher and bring water to your father! He is in his office."

"Yes, mother!" The 9-year-old comes running. She takes the clay pitcher and runs off to fill it. She balances it on her head while heading back.

A couple of older boys (but not by much) run past, following what appears to be a brownish desert rat. In their hustle, one of them nudges the already encumbered Jena; just enough for her to lose her balance, the pitcher shattering to pieces on the hard rocky surface bellow her feet.

Water is scarce in the Southern Calla Region. Uncontaminated water that is. Few springs remain untainted, always contained deep within a pack's territory. The strongest warriors belong to those packs that have a water source at their disposal.

She freezes. Of course, her father just happened to be coming her way at that precise moment.

"Jena, come here!" He yells without even raising his voice.

"Yes, father but it's not my fault. Two boys were running and..."

"Jena honey, you are a big girl now. There is no punishment if you tell me what we say about water."

"Water is scarce. Water is life. Respect the water."

"Very good, honey! Can you now tell me what you could have done differently so the water didn't spill over?"

"Pay attention to my surroundings. Always be alert. Like a warrior. Like you, daddy!"

"That's my perfect little girl. I think if you were a little older and under warrior training, you would have easily dodged those boys even if you weren't paying attention. Would you like to become a warrior one day?"

"Oh, could I father? Would I really be allowed? I would really like that. I could be your right-hand man then. I mean woman." She grins widely at him.

"I see. Good to know! I'm sure you will make a fine warrior one day. Now what about that water, is there a third way in which the water stayed in the pitcher?"

"Yes, father. The third way is the one way to preserve the water neither you nor I thought about. There is always a third solution to a problem."

"Indeed. Pick up the shards, and be on your way. I'll see you and your mother at dinner. Love you, honey!"

"Love you too, daddy!"

The unfortunate poor souls that do not have a pure water source within their territory, cannot afford to trade for the fresh water can always use the dew, but the process is inefficient and time-consuming, not to mention the foul taste.

As if that wasn't enough, the dew has traces of the contaminants in it. A lot less than the oceans or open lakes, so it's drinkable, but take a wolf raised on dew and compare it to one with access to pure water, and the differences are undeniable. Size, speed, stamina, even things like the sense of smell and hearing are vastly different.

*Author's Note

Many thanks for the reads, comments and votes.