Chapter Two: Becoming

Kandy 2

Friday Night Smackdown - Feb. 10th, 2012

Gail Kim walked up to me backstage with a surprised look on her face. "Kelly?"

"Hey Gail. What's up?"

"What's up? You tell me."

"What are you talking about?"

"Maryse is telling everyone that you have a crush on Randy Orton," she said, putting emphasis on his name. 

My heart jumped...

"What? How did she know?!"

"So wait - it's true?"

"Oh my God," I said, running my fingers through my hair in frustration. 

"Do you think she told him?"

"... I don't know. I hope not."

"Calm down, then. He probably doesn't even know."

I was about to calm down... 

...when I saw him coming right towards us.

I froze in place as he gestured with his head for Gail to leave. She gave me a sympathetic look before walking away...

My heart wouldn't stop beating as hard as it was... 

Randy stared at me intensely.

...He adjusted the World Heavyweight Championship belt on his shoulder and then... his expressioned lightened.

"So tonight..." he said, not looking directly at me. "I have to compete in a... mixed tag-team match against Christian and . And I was wondering... if you'd want to be my partner."

I was relieved and confused at the same time. "You want me to be your partner?"

"Well you are the Divas Champion... for a reason... aren't you?"

.... I bit my bottom lip. 

"Look... Kelly." I looked up at his face, which had slight sincerity. "I know we haven't been on the same page... ever. But sometimes, you have to set personal matters aside... and just get the job done... So... " He shrugged slowly... "What do you say?"

I took a deep breath... and answered finally: "Yeah... I'll be your partner." I tried to make it sound casual to hide my nervousness.

The corner of his lips rose into a smile. "Good." Then he made eye-contact with me one more time before walking away.

I looked down at the floor, wondering how this night was going to play out...

Then a voice inside me said, What are you afraid of? Just go out there and do what you do best and...

"..Kick some ass."