Chapter 2

Padmé ducked into the small hut and breathed in the warmth of it, smiling lightly at the Jedi Master setting down his gimer stick and moving towards a pot of broth, stirring it with a grumble. The ex-Senator moved towards one of the larger cots and laid her son on it, pressing another kiss to his temple before turning to stretch her legs out in the small hut.

    Rain soon began to pour on the swampy planet and she sighed, the weather some how agreeing with her emotions. She normally slept in Yoda's hut for warmth, but she spent the majority of her time in the dark cave, having long since gotten over the nightmarish visions that threatened to overcome her mental state while inside of it. With her vibroblade to defend herself, Padmé could sit in the cave for hours listening to the nature of Dagobah and trying desperately to connect to the Force with the low amount of midichlorians in her blood. She was no Force-sensitive and definitely no Jedi, but Master Yoda had told her that every living creature had a connection to the Force, only some more powerful than others.

    With tedious practice in meditation, Padmé had become strong for a non-Force-sensitive, but her frustration had grown when she hadn't been able to recognize her own son's Force presence, which meant she needed to fine-tune her abilities even further.

    "Deep in thought, are you Padmé?" Yoda asked casually, offering a small clay bowl full of soup with a small green claw. Padmé smiled and took it gratefully, taking the small spoon inside of it and instead of feeding herself, moving towards Luke's still form and holding his head up, the spoon at his lips.

    A moan left the youth as he refused to swallow, the strange liquid simply dribbling down his chin. Padmé sighed, dabbing at his mouth and stroking his cheek. "Wake up sweetheart...come on."

    "Training, he has been. Exhausted, he most likely is." Yoda commented, looking thoughtfully at the mother and son.

    "I still don't understand why you didn't tell me he was here before." Padmé said, also angry at herself for not noticing someone else entering the planet. She was supposed to be alert for intruders at all times and she had been too lost in mourning thoughts to know her own son had arrived.

    "Confused, the boy already was. Get him to trust me first, I had to. To find you, sent him into the cave, I did." Yoda said calmly, sitting down on his own cot and assembling into a meditative position. "Time, give him. Then discuss, we may."

    Padmé nodded, not realizing how late it already was. Muddled thoughts drifted away with her exhaustion and her head was suddenly lowering beside Luke's, the curve of his neck serving as her pillow. If her son was alive...then there was also a chance that her daughter was too. She smiled at the thought of Leia, remembering the newborn eyes that had glanced at her after birth, chocolate brown like her mother. How honored and wistful Bail had been when he gathered the young girl in his arms and left to Alderaan, taking a child from her mother forever.

    An incomprehensible mumble got her attention and she turned tired eyes towards Luke, who was now curling against her with a contented smile. Padmé smiled and stroked his hair, whispering reassurances. "It'll be ok sweetheart. Mommy's here."

    It was the best sleep Padmé Amidala had had in a long time.

***

    "Oh thank goodness we're coming out of the asteroid field." See-Threepio, the golden protocol droid cried in relief, watching warily through the viewport of the Millennium Falcon. Chewbacca barked his agreement as the giant floating rocks began to subside, but howled in worry as the ship lurched to the side, another shot from the Star Destroyer hitting the rickety old freighter.

    Han grumbled under his breath, cursing the Imperials who dared injure his precious ship. "Alright, preparing for light speed." He said, his hands flying over the controls as the coordinates set out in the navi-computer, allowing them a clear course through space. "One..."