Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Assemblies weren't a regular occurrence here, thankfully. Sitting and listening to the teachers babble on about grades, school trips, and university applications had possibly been the most boring time of my life. The twenty minutes had dragged on so much I was struggling to keep my eyes open. And my bum was going numb.

Liliana was getting into the habit of prodding me when I looked like I might really pass out, though, and I received a sharp jab in the leg just as I was about to rest my chin on my hand. I shot her a scowl and she shrugged, the corner of her mouth lifting upwards.

"And last of all, I've set the date for this year's gala as the twenty-first of November. I will, of course, be issuing letters for your parents to buy tickets if they are interested. This year, Mr. Langley will be choreographing the ballet routine and, as is tradition, the final years will be performing it." Mrs. Mellier gestured to where he was hovering in the corner and I lamented not having seen him sooner. "That is all for today. You may leave one row at a time."

We were sat on the middle row, so I was forced to wait in silence, tapping my foot impatiently, while the rest of the students filtered out at an unreasonably slow pace. Liliana glowered at me, but I kept going because I knew she wouldn't even dare to whisper at me to stop it.

When we exited the doors I laughed as she hit me on the shoulder. "You are so annoying."

"I do amuse myself." I chuckled as we headed towards our first lesson. "So, what's this gala thing about anyway?"

"They do it every year, it's a rip-off fundraising technique. They force everyone's parents to buy over-priced tickets and bring in cakes that they sell for too much money. The whole thing is ridiculous. There aren't even any people scouting ballet talent that come to it, so the performance is pointless in that regard. It's just a load of rubbish, really. And we have to get dressed up for it, which I always hate."

It was going to be something I despised, then.

It wasn't even the concept, it was the money. My parents were going to have to buy expensive tickets, which meant there would be no money left over to buy me a dress with. I didn't have anything in my wardrobe that do for the occasion, so I was going to have to buy a horribly cheap dress and be embarrassed all evening.

It sounded like a nightmare.

"I'm glad you look equally as unimpressed. We can go and be cynical in a corner with Callum and Dean. That has been our yearly tradition up until this point."

Unfortunately, my parents would want to see me and to be introduced to people and to know who my teachers were. I wasn't going to be allowed to sulk in a corner with my friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a relatively short, and boring, chapter, so I'll upload the next one tomorrow rather than waiting a couple of days! Apologies for the disappointment ;)