Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I was just about to put my ear plugs in when there was a knock on the door. Amber stood up and pulled the door open. I could tell just from her expression who was on the other side.

I'd been sitting for a good hour listening to Amber bitch about what a horrible person Leon was. It was petty, but I was thrilled to know she was suffering after their break-up. She'd been the one to end it. No one would ever break-up with Amber, I was sure. Either way, I knew she was feeling the hit of losing her boyfriend and I was the bitterest person there was, so I was enjoying it thoroughly.

And now Leon was here and I'd get to see the drama first hand. He was drunk, too, I realised as he stood and stared at her, swaying just a bit. "What are you doing here?" Amber sneered, standing with two friends at either shoulder.

"Fuck off." Leon waved a dismissive hand. "I want to talk to Carly. She was unfortunate enough to be stuck in your dorm room, right?"

My eyes widened. Well, I hadn't been expecting the drama to involve me at all. "What?" Even Amber sounded a bit confused.

"Carly," Leon enunciated my name again. "Is she here? Oh, there you are." He noticed me curled up and ready to sleep. "I want to talk to you."

"Why?" was all I could manage to say as I stared at him dumbly. I knew where this was going, and I blinked in surprise. My paranoia really had been unfounded.

Amber strode over to where I was sat up in bed and dragged me up and towards the door. I pulled out of her grasp and hit her hand away when she tried to put it on my shoulder. As I was about to walk out the door, she gave me a hard shove on the back and I fell into Leon's chest.

Leon pushed me to the side and looked ready to lunge at Amber, but I gave him a hard shove myself and slammed the door behind me. "She's such a cow." Leon seemed almost astounded by the revelation. "I can't believe I was with her for so long. There has to be something wrong with me."

"What did you do to make Amber ditch you?" That perhaps hadn't been my finest choice of words, but I'd reached I no longer give a fuck about anything mode. Leon might have been drunk enough not to notice.

Leon raised an eyebrow at me. "I guess I can't say I'm surprised she said she was the one who broke up with me. I don't even have the motivation to tell her stupid friends she's lying."

My bare feet were getting cold against the tiled floor of the Academy's hallways, and my pyjamas weren't exactly warm. I folded my arms. "So why did you break up with her? It's going to make Prince Charming a bit awkward."

"Do you want my jacket? Sorry, I would have let you get a coat, I didn't really think this through very well." Leon scratched the back of his head and shot me an apologetic look.

"It's fine." I waved him off, but he slipped it around my shoulder regardless.

"You can have my socks or something as well if you want."

Chuckling, I slipped my arms into his jacket. It was nice and toasty. "I'm really fine, thank you."

"I dumped her because I like you." Leon peeked at me from the corner of his eye, but he didn't look overly hopeful.

I curled up further inside his jacket. "Leon... I—"

"Yes, I know, don't worry." He chuckled. "I know you're not interested in me, but I had to tell you just in case it turned out you'd been playing hard to get."

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I'm glad I realised what a mistake I was making with Amber if nothing else. We can be friends, though, right? I just think you're good company."

"Of course." A friend? I wondered how I was going to mess it up this time.

Leon stopped walking, stood in front of me, and engulfed me in a hug. I hugged him back, surprised at how much it helped. Even if Leon had less than platonic feelings towards me, this was a platonic hug. I hadn't had a hug since coming back to the Academy after Christmas. I used to hug my mam every day when I was living at home.

"Well, I should go back to my room anyway." Leon's hand was practically attached to the back of his head by this point. "I'm sorry for bothering you. People should lock me up when I've had a bit to drink."

I laughed and handed him back his jacket. "It's really no problem. I'm glad you broke up with Amber, too. I'll see you around."

He hovered for a moment and I was a bit terrified he'd try and kiss me. But, he didn't. He just ambled on down the corridor, leaving me to walk back to my dorm room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next chapter! It's only a short one, so the next update will be tomorrow. I'm sure you'll all be pleased with tomorrow's chapter, though, even if this one was disappointing ;)