prologue

HARRYS POV

"Why Harry?" She shrieks, her sobs mixing with the wind that whips around us.

"Why what?" I try to reach out for her, but it's as if she's miles away from my fingertips.

"Why would you do this?" She points at the field surrounding us, where I see the bodies of our loved ones scattered on the cold, hard ground. Their mouths are gaping and their eyes glare at me as their blood stains the grass around them.

"Why would you hurt me?" 

I turn my attention back to her, where she cups her pregnant belly.

"I would never hurt you."  I reach out to her and the second my fingers brush her skin, a crimson stream comes out of her side and spreads across her front. She clutches her side and falls to the ground

"I did nothing but love you." Sobbing, she curls into the ground as I try to reach her, but it's as if she's moving miles away. The faster I run, the faster she disappears. Her body suddenly turns into thousands of black moths as the scene around me changes into a dark room with a single light on.

 A man stands under the light, his back to me. The light flickers repeatedly, and my shoulders are pushed downwards as I tumble into a chair. 

The man turns around and my stomach drops upon seeing his sickening face.

On his pinkie, he wears a black band with a large diamond on it, the rest of his fingers wrapped around a familiar glass of scotch.

"My son," He chuckles despite the lack of humor as he raises his glass to me, "I've let you fool around long enough with the Boykov girl. It's time you come home."

"What's it going to be, lad?" He downs the rest of the drink, "Your family or death?"

He inspects the glass, watching the colors bounce off of the light for a  moment before winding back and throwing the glass right at me.

I sit up, gasping for air as the light beside me turns on. 

"Harry?" Zoe places her hand on my back, "What's wrong?"

I pull away from her, climbing out of bed, "Nothing."

I pace around, my hands running through my hair as she sits on the edge of the bed, watching me.

I glance at her flat stomach and breathe shakily, "Lets go back to bed. It's late." 

Without a word, she climbs into bed, holding the duvet up for me to slide under. I lay on my back and she lays on her side, her eyes never leaving my face.

I turn away, my back to her as I cling onto my pillow. Even when I feel the bed beneath us quiver from her quiet sobs, I make no attempt to move, only shutting my eyes and praying that I don't dream for the rest of the night.

hiiii everyone! sorry this took forever but I wanted to make sure everything was perfect for this story!! i'm sooo excited to write this so make sure you're voting and commenting. the next chapter should be coming along shortly :)

also!! i have republished "thornbird" which was previously atonement! go check it out, it's a daddy!kink and age gap story :)

-meg