reconciliation

My ghost, where'd you go? I can't find you in the body sleeping next to me.

"We have to talk." 

Harry looks up from  his paper-littered desk, a look of annoyance on his face.

He opens his mouth to argue but I cut him off, "Why are pushing me away?"

"Zoelie, I don't have time for this." He replies just as his desk phone rings.

"I have to take this," He spins around, his back to me.

"Hello?" He answers the call, just to be met with dead silence.

"Answer my question."

He turns back around and sighs upon seeing the recently detached cord in my hands, sighs, "I'm not."

Harry leans back in his chair, his arms crossed and in the dim lighting, I see the toll the past couple of months has taken on him. 

The bags beneath his eyes make his handsome face seem much older. In fact, he looks like he hasn't slept at all. His curls are unruly, probably an effect from running his hands through them constantly. His clothes are dark and wrinkled and by the unmade side of his bed that I awoke to this morning, I know he slept in them.

"What's going on with you?" I furrow my eyebrows as he sighs, leaning forward to put his face in his hands.

"I just... I have to protect you." He speaks from behind his fingers as he drags his hands down his face.

"From what, Harry?" I'm growing more frustrated with his constant vague answers and need for privacy. 

"Nothing important." He says dismissively.

My anger swells, I storm to his desk and push all the papers off, where they fly to the floor.

"Answer me dammit!" I yell, tears welling up in my eyes, "What's happening?! Why can't you be straight with me?!"

Harry stands from his chair and walks around to the desk, his body towering over my own.

"Please, trust me." He speaks softly and slowly, causing me to cave. He pulls me into his arms and my anger dissipates.

"What happened to you?" I murmur, leaning into his chest.

"Zoelie," I look up at him as he cups my face, "I love you. I love you so much. More than anything."

"But," He continues, "It's my job to keep you safe. I'm sorry I've been distant, but the thought of losing you..." His voice cracks and my heart breaks for him but also swells as butterflies pool in my stomach.

"I will work, day and night, day after day, month after month, year after year, to keep you safe." 

Then, for the first time in a long time, he leans down and kisses me.

And it was like I was falling in love with him all over again. The past 2 months didn't matter anymore. All that mattered is that he was with me now and he loved me. 

Leaning his nose against mine, he chuckles, his thumbs caressing my cheek bones.

"Say it back," He murmurs.

"I love you, Harry."

Suddenly Harry crouches down and picks me up from the undersides of my thighs, causing me to wrap my legs and arms around him, squealing.

"Say it again." His voice is huskier as he stares at my lips as I fulfill his wish.

"I. Love. You." I breathe, running my tongue across my bottom lip.

He holds his arms around me as he practically runs us out of the office and slams my back against the wall, his lips at my neck, "Again."

"I love you, Harry." I sigh, my head rolling to the side as his hands knead at my thighs, toying with the hem of my shorts.

"One more time, babygirl, I'm begging." He practically growls into my neck, causing me to sigh.

"I love you." I whisper in his ear, my hands intertwining in his hair.

He captures my lips with his own and I'm in pure heaven, the feeling of being loved and being in love is the most blissful thing I've ever experienced. From my toes to my head feel so warm and I whole again. Absolutely nothing could ruin this moment for me... Except for the doorbell ringing. 

"I got it, I'll be right back." I give Harry one last kiss as I slide down his body before trotting over to the door. 

With a goofy grin on my face, I swing the big wooden door open without looking through the window. 

"Can I help-"  

Suddenly, I'm face to face with the barrel of a gun.

Right before my vision blacks out, all I hear is the sound of a bullet hitting my skull.

A/N: OMG