visitor

A/N: if you want to feel the mood of this chapter, listen to "doing the right thing" by daughter

 But I find it soothing when I am confined, I'm just fearing one day soon I'll lose my mind.

ZOE POV

"Baby, wake up." 

I crack my eyes open to see the love of my life standing over me, a blank look on his face.

"Ana and Nik are leaving, you have to say your goodbyes."

I rise out of bed and walk outside of my bedroom, Harry following like a shadow. In the foyer sits a suitcase as Ana holds her young daughter, Grace, a sad smile on her lips.

Immediately I wrap her in my arms and squeeze her tightly. Grace squirms between us and grabs a fistful of my hair, pulling on it to signal her discomfort. When I pull back, I notice the lone tear escaping Ana's eye.

"London isn't that far away," I smile serenely, brushing the tear away, "You can come back and visit whenever you want."

Nik got a new job, a big job. A government job. A job that even I, his only sister and living relative, have no idea what the job entails or how he was approached. All I know is that he must reside in a flat in London and leave for long periods of time. It's all very classified.

"I love you." She kisses my cheek and goes outside with Grace while Nik stands in front of me, his hands jammed into the front pocket of his jeans. 

"I'll see you soon, okay?" He looks through me, as if I wasn't there. I nod my head and we exchange a brief hug before he turns and exits. The door shuts softly behind him and I lean against it, exhaling heavily.

All the while, Harry leans against the wall opposite of me his arms crossed in front of him. Dressed all in black, he looks gloomy and sullen as he stares right at me.

"What?" I question at his stony expression. All he does is shrug and I go to question him until the doorbell rings, causing me to jump.

I open the door and am greeted by a very large man dressed in a black suit. He smokes a fat cigar and smiles wide upon seeing me, revealing yellowed teeth.

" 'Ello, miss. Jus' wondering if-"

Suddenly Harry comes up behind me and pushes my body behind his, shielding me from the man.

"We're not interested." Harry's tone is sharp and I feel a pit form in my stomach.

" 'Ow are ya, Harry? Lovely 'ouse you've got." The man smiles again and leans in close to Harry, whose back I feel tense.

Harry suddenly slams the door in the man's face and I can hear his chuckle through the wood.

"Gettin' rid of me isn't that easy!" His laugh is like nails on a chalkboard and it sends chills down my spine. "We'll see you very soon!" 

Harry starts locking the door as I cling to him, "Who was that?"

He doesn't listen, only looking out the peephole until we hear a car drive off.

When he's gone, Harry pushes me aside before walking hurriedly to his office, his hand running through his recently cut curls. I grasp his arm, my nails digging into the sleeve of his sweater as I stop him, but he's relentless. 

"Harry!" I pull sharply and he turns around, fuming.

"What do you want, woman?!" He grabs my arms and pins them to my side and leans down towards me, the vein in his forehead sticking out.

My shock immediately turns to anger as I pull myself away from him, "What the fuck is your problem?"

He steps back, his fingers tugging at his curls again, "Nothing! Nothing's the matter. Everything's perfect!" He practically growls, throwing open the French doors to his office before slamming them behind him, leaving me alone in the hallway.

I sit outside the office, my heart and head both pounding. 

Lately, Harry's become distant. He doesn't talk, doesn't eat, doesn't sleep. Whenever I try to reach out to him, it's as if he's in his own world.

At night, when he's laying beside me, he doesn't hold me like he used to or try to stop the tears that he causes. It's as if a switch has flipped in the past couple of months, changing him completely. 

So later that night when I'm curled up on the couch wearing one of his sweaters and reading a book, I don't speak as he walks into the adjoining kitchen, I only watch as he rummages around the fridge for food before finding nothing that reaches his standards.

I say nothing as he approaches the coach and collapses into the opposite side, where he takes off his newly prescribed glasses and rubs his eyes. Even when he sees me staring, I say nothing. 

When he leans towards me, like a lion approaching its prey, I only look up at him. 

When he takes his sweater off of me and kisses my skin, I let him.

When he touches me, I gaze into his eyes.

When he grunts and grabs a fistful of my hair, I only moan his name.

When he zips up his pants when it's over, I don't tell him that I love him or that I miss him. I only watch as he walks back into his office, the doors shutting behind him.

Only then do I let my tears spill over.

A/N: aw sorry to make it so sad guys :/ but you'll see why soon. make sure you're voting and commenting okay 

-meg