Chapter 5- Non-edited version

Rachel's POV

I walked home from Cal's Diner, where I worked when i wasn't singing at the coffee shop. I slipped my headphones in, since it was a pretty long walk. Jason Mraz song, I Won't Give Up, came on. I loved this song, mostly because it really relates to me. I sang along softly.

When I look into your eyes

It's like I'm watching th night sky

Or a beautiful sunrise

Well, there's so much that they hold

And just like them old stars

I see that you've come so far

To be right where you are

How old is your soul?

Well, I won't give up on us

Even if the skies get rough

I'm giving you all my love

I'm still looking up

Suddenly, one of my headphones was ripped out of my ear.

"Boo!" A masculine voice whispered into my ear. I whipped around to see my best friend, Max. I gasped and clutched at my heart.

"Max! You scared me!" I said breathlessly. He chuckled.

"Well, why are you walking on the street alone?" he asked.

"Because I don't have a car." I reminded him.

"You could have called your good friend, Max, to come and walk you home. You'd be more safe that way." he said.

"I'm a big girl. I can handle it." I said. We finished the walk home. Max was my next door neighbor, and one of my closest friends. We walked up or seperate driveways.

"Rachel!" he called. I looked at him.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Bye, love you!" he said, and I blew him a kiss. He caught it in mid-air. What a dork. I laughed and walked inside.

"How was your day at work?" My dad called when I came in.

"It was good." I said. I looked up at my tall, handsome father, and saw what I had been seeing in his face ever since that night in December, 6 years ago. I saw deep sorrow, and I wish I could help him, make it better, but I couldn't. I couldn't even make it better for me.

My mother's death had taken our small family by surprise. She was a nurse, and was working late one night, trying to pick up some extra shifts so I could go to the performing art school that I longed to go to. She was tired driving home. The car slid on a patch of ice, she lost control, and crashed into a tree. The police said that she died instantly.

I slid my bag off of my shoulder and set it down on a chair in the dining room.

"What do you want for dinner?" I asked my dad, who was in the living room, watching football.

"I don't care." he said. I was heading to the fridge when the doorbell rang.

"I got it!" I yelled, and walked to the door. I opened it, and there was Max.

"You just couldn't get enough of me, could you?" I asked playfully.

"Oh, shut it. Fancy going to the park and playing some footie? Me, Derek, and Noah need another player for an even four." he said.

"Sure! Let me go change!" I said. I told my dad to order pizza, which he was fine with. I raced upstairs to my bedroom. I changed into shorts and a tank top.