Chapter 3 - Lose Control

Just Business

            Chapter 3

            “You shouldn’t wear that, she said.” I muttered to myself, reliving the morning with Vanessa. I had come home the night before, bags full of Chinese takeout and a smile on my face after getting hired and she was just as excited for me. It was a relief, knowing I had a well paying job, and we had celebrated my last unemployed night.

            When I woke up this morning I had been on a mission. Most of my clothes were laid back and casual, nothing fancy enough for the PA of a CEO. The best I could come up with was my sage green blouse and the same black pencil skirt I had worn for the interview. I had scoured my closet for the one pair of black slacks I knew I had, but somehow they must have gotten lost in the move. The morning was wasted away on my hunt and I didn’t have time to shave my legs, so I wore a pair of Nude nylons I had tucked away for emergencies.

            “Nylons are not in anymore! Plus, I think they are unlucky. And those are really old.” Vanessa had warned me but I just shrugged it off and wished her well before running out the door to catch my train.

            Now, halfway to the office, they decide to rip all the way from my ankle to my thigh. I felt my cheeks heat up as a few women eyed my leg with distaste. I couldn’t start my day like this, there was no way I was going to greet my new boss with a giant hole in my tights.

            I shuffled passed the buildings I had admired just yesterday and into the lobby of the largest one. There wasn’t a public bathroom downstairs, Lucy had told me, so I waited for an elevator and prayed that it was empty. I had come in early so I could walk around the empty office and get used to the place.

            “Not so unlucky.” I thought as the elevators opened and were empty. I hit the ‘24’ button and instantly put my things on the floor, slipped off my heels and quickly ripped off one leg of the tights. Just as I started with the second leg, a light blinked on, signaling a stop on the next floor.

            “Oh fuck!” I cursed and grabbed the top of the next leg, which was stuck to my skirt. I pulled hard and heard a giant rip as the nylon came down in pieces. I had barely enough time to gather it up into my bag and slip on my shoe.

            Just as the doors opened I stood up straight, exasperated by my effort to look presentable. And whom do I come face to face with? Why it’s Mr. Beckett of course.

            “Ms. Strong.” His voice vibrated around me in the steel box we stood in.

            “Mr. Beckett. Good morning.” I nodded my head and gently pulled a stray piece of hair behind my ear. I glanced up at him under my lashes and took in his appearance. Hair neatly trimmed; light grey suit, probably worth more than my first car, tucked around his body and a jet-black leather briefcase in one hand, the other in his pocket.

            “You know, when men have their hands in their pockets, they are thinking about sex.” Vanessa had once told me after reading too many magazines. I giggled softly, remembering her argument on the subject.

            “Something funny, Ms. Strong?” He had been so silent; I had forgotten that I wasn’t alone in the elevator.

            “No, sorry Sir.” I straightened my face.

            “It’s has been in my experience that one doesn’t just laugh for nothing, unless they are not well in the head.” He said sternly. I whipped my head in his direction.